No luck or not good enough ?

Started by JeromeC, July 08, 2012, 07:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeromeC

Hi

First thanks for that great idea, I've been looking for a long time for something like that, allowing to access my main computer (iMac) boinc client from anywhere.

On my android phone I have AndroBoinc which is really working fine and allows to do the basics, from the home iPad I couldn't, so of course decided to try this as soon as I was aware of it.

I read the f*****g manual and did all the steps, but the iPad cannot connect to boinc via BoincTasks, after a long time I get a connect error.

I use BoincTasks via wine on the mac, maybe the server side options are not possible via wine ?

Also I access boinc from AndroBoinc from internet and not local network (cause I know it's working fine ;) ) so maybe there is another "local issue" ?

I won't be able to test any solution before long cause the iPad went to holiday this morning and I won't see it before a long time, but maybe it's worth discussing the issue here and it can help others.

Thanks

fred

Quote from: JeromeC on July 08, 2012, 07:02:25 PM
I read the f*****g manual and did all the steps, but the iPad cannot connect to boinc via BoincTasks, after a long time I get a connect error.
First of all try the Beta version http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/boinc_tasks/download_beta.html, that has the most features yet.
I'm not sure if this works with wine, it should but this is low level Internet stuff.

Anyone using BoincTasks with wine who want to check this out?

I will fire up an old Linux machine with wine and see it that will work.

fred

What you can do is try the connect with the browser on the machine itself.

JeromeC

1.35 is not the beta ?

For the moment I tried on my machine as you suggest, no luck with this neither, I have also tried "from outside", ie using my internet address:8080 (I already have a route to 8080 open on my router), from the local browser (ie in Mac OS X) and also from a linux VM browser, but no response - but I never get a connection error after a pretty long time neither, just waiting.

So maybe it's really because of wine ?

fred

Quote from: JeromeC on July 12, 2012, 07:17:01 PM
1.35 is not the beta ?

For the moment I tried on my machine as you suggest, no luck with this neither, I have also tried "from outside", ie using my internet address:8080 (I already have a route to 8080 open on my router), from the local browser (ie in Mac OS X) and also from a linux VM browser, but no response - but I never get a connection error after a pretty long time neither, just waiting.

So maybe it's really because of wine ?
I will release 1.36 Beta first. Next I will fire up the Linux machine and see what's going on.
By the way a VM might have an other IP address, you have the check the internet properties on the VM.

fred

Do you have a Windows machine in your net, so you can try something out?

fred