Visual Anomalies when Attaching Remotely to VirtualBox Ubuntu

Started by tlsi2000, July 29, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlsi2000

Fred...

I am seeing some odd visuals in the Computers and Projects tabs.
These do not seem to be affecting the functioning of the program.

I set up a VirtualBox Ubuntu so I could run Asteroids (they only have a Linux build).
I did all the remote connection configurations, and after a couple of attempts, it is working just fine.
And I have been able to control the VB Boinc Client from the primary system to suspend, resume, etc.

On the Computers tab:
  Under the STATUS column, both the localhost and the the VirtualBox show a 'Connected, Not Connected' phrase.
  When connecting, it first shows only the 'Connected' word,  then on the next update, the 'Not Connected' is added.

On the Projects tab:
  There are two lines for the Asteroids project from the VirtualBox, one denoted by its name, and the other by the URL.
  It looks like these did not resolve to the same object as typically happens when adding a project.

I can send screenshots...just tell me where to send or how to attach so you will be expecting them.

Thanks,
TLSI2000.

fred

Quote from: tlsi2000 on July 29, 2012, 08:42:39 PM
Fred...

I am seeing some odd visuals in the Computers and Projects tabs.
These do not seem to be affecting the functioning of the program.
b#o#i#n#c [at] efmer [dot] eu
Lets see if this shows up on the Linux machine.

You can easily install Ubuntu on you Windows machine as a double boot, real easy with the Windows Ubuntu installer.

fred

Connected, not Connected means BOINC Connected, TThrottle not connected.
Connected, connected -> Connected.
If you disable TThrottle the second message disappears.

Project Tab: When you see http:: address in the Project field, this means the project isn't fully attached yet. It only knows the address not the project name.... yet.

tlsi2000

OK...

That explains the Connected phrases -- I missed that somewhere (sorry).

On the Asteroids@Home Project Attach for the Ubuntu system,  have have rebooted it several times, and the system still runs...seemingly just fine.
The project does download, process, upload and validate WUs, and I have 'official' credit for them in BoincStats.

When I attach the project to the primary system, it resolves correctly to the 'common name' (albeit, no WUs for Windows).

But the Ubuntu system doesn't seem to finish this out.
All of the credits values show up in the 'common name' line.
For 'official' use such as changing preferences and suspending/resuming tasks, BoincTasks likes it when I select the 'common name' line, but not on the URL line..

This is not really a problem, just a visual.

Thanks for looking into this for me.
TLSI2000

tlsi2000

After some more investigation, what I found out is the the Linux version of the BOINC v 7.0.27 client never did finish out the resolution of the common name from the URL.

This left over a separate but 'empty' project based on the URL.  However, the common name  was where all of the tasks and operations were targeted.

I had to just remove the unwanted URL-named project.

And, as expected, the 'extra' project disappeared from the remotely accessing BoincTasks  correctly !

Thx.