Network Communications

Started by thebestjaspreet, October 21, 2012, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebestjaspreet

I wish if we can have something like scheduler in utorrent to allow or not network communications for boinc client. This will help to micrmanage network communication and to control upload and reporting of tasks at the desired times only. ;D
"I always win law permanently"

fred

Quote from: thebestjaspreet on October 21, 2012, 10:29:06 PM
I wish if we can have something like scheduler in utorrent to allow or not network communications for boinc client. This will help to micrmanage network communication and to control upload and reporting of tasks at the desired times only. ;D
BOINC Settings -> Network -> Network usage allowed or on a daily basis ->  Day-of-Week-Override
The times set are the allowed intervals.

00:00 - 07:00 Allow from midnight to 7 in the morning.

thebestjaspreet

Quote from: fred on October 22, 2012, 06:28:21 AM

BOINC Settings -> Network -> Network usage allowed or on a daily basis ->  Day-of-Week-Override

I am aware of this but I am looking for smaller time slices multiple number of times per day/24hrs. I am crunching for WCG gpu tasks for HCC. The maximum tasks in process limit is 100 which lasts less than 3 hours on my system. So,every three hour the completed tasks has to be reported to get new tasks.
1. Either I have to keep network open then it keeps uploading tasks every 3 mins and reporting and requesting new tasks.
2.If I consider server load etc. in view I have to baby sit to open network for 10 minutes every 2+ hours . Similar situation is in case of Milkyway@home gpu tasks where limit is 40wus which last around 1 hour in total.
3. Since I have seen such scheduler in many programs like utorrent, perfectdisk etc so I thought it will be a good idea to include with boinc tasks, but as I am not a programmer you may be a better person to decide on feasability etc.   ;D
"I always win law permanently"

fred

Quote from: thebestjaspreet on October 22, 2012, 09:59:47 AM
Quote from: fred on October 22, 2012, 06:28:21 AM

I am aware of this but I am looking for smaller time slices multiple number of times per day/24hrs. I am crunching for WCG gpu tasks for HCC. The maximum tasks in process limit is 100 which lasts less than 3 hours on my system. So,every three hour the completed tasks has to be reported to get new tasks.
1. Either I have to keep network open then it keeps uploading tasks every 3 mins and reporting and requesting new tasks.
2.If I consider server load etc. in view I have to baby sit to open network for 10 minutes every 2+ hours . Similar situation is in case of Milkyway@home gpu tasks where limit is 40wus which last around 1 hour in total.
3. Since I have seen such scheduler in many programs like utorrent, perfectdisk etc so I thought it will be a good idea to include with boinc tasks, but as I am not a programmer you may be a better person to decide on feasability etc.   ;D
This isn't possible with BoincTasks.
Start looking for a proxy server, that may do the trick.
You can set up 2 BOINC client each working on a different project.