News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

startup delay suggestion?

Started by archae86, May 14, 2013, 10:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archae86

I've been running TThrottle with pleasure on several hosts for a while.  Some weeks ago, I had severe startup problems on one machine, and by progressive elimination of automatically started programs using selective startup in msconfig, I learned that if I did not allow the automatic startup of TThrottle my main startup problems went away.

Starting TThrottle after everything else is up and running seems to work fine, save that for my 4-core 8 virtual core Xeon E5620 only one core shows, whereas Speedfan and other programs show 4 or eight.

Instead of manually starting TThrottle after boot, I'd like to just do a delayed launch.  Do you have any suggested means to accomplish this cleanly?

When I came here to ask my delayed start question, I had a look around, and happened to spot your advice to fix cases where not all cores are reported in TThrottle using:

QuoteHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle64\calibration
value: cores should be 8

Interestingly enough, I found this value on my offending host to be at all f's (hex).  I revised it to 8 but the reporting behavior did not change in my case (still just reports one core in TThrottle).  Is it possible the all f value may have had something to do with my problems when TThrottle is launched during Windows boot?  I've not experimented after the regedit, as the behavior is pretty bad, and each trial somewhat lengthy.

Thanks for any help.

fred

Quote from: archae86 on May 14, 2013, 10:24:32 PM
I've been running TThrottle with pleasure on several hosts for a while.  Some weeks ago, I had severe startup problems on one machine, and by progressive elimination of automatically started programs using selective startup in msconfig, I learned that if I did not allow the automatic startup of TThrottle my main startup problems went away.
Start -> Accessories -> System tools -> The clock icon something like planner. It allows you to delay starting TThrottle.

The cores value is fixed and can't be changed the number of cores is as it is.
You can change Core_delta to 1 to show all cores as a temperature.

But you can send me everything in the log tab just after you startup TThrottle, so I can see what's going on.

archae86

Thanks Fred,

I responded at greater length by email.  Here I'll say that I was able to create a 3-minute startup delay on my Windows 7 system using Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Task Scheduler.  I used the "create Tasks" function (not basic task), using the "triggers" tab to select Startup, and specifying a delay in the advanced section on the same page.

This seems to work as to initiating a working copy of TThrottle64 without the catastrophic problems this particular system exhibited when I used the usual non-delayed form--but the system tray icon does not appear.  When I went to the Customize... section in the show hidden icons function for the system tray, I did find what appeared to be a TThrottle entry--specified to show icon and notifications. 

Shutting down this Task Scheduler started copy of TThrottle using Process Explorer, then starting a fresh copy with a Start|Run command to the same executable, I do get the icon--so it appears there is some option I should have employed in using Task Scheduler that eludes me.

fred

The log shows the cores
0;0;2;2;4

Normally this is 0;1;2;3;4

I have to dig in the docs to see why.
So you have to wait for version 6.60 to support this processor.
Shouldn't be too difficult.