Moving WU to different computers

Started by Gandalf, July 09, 2013, 11:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gandalf

I know this belongs in the Wish List.  I just hope it doesn't belong in the drop dead list.

Today I had a computer running some Yoyo WUs when I noticed WCG downloading a Beta WU.  I put the active Yoyo WUs into Suspense mode to allow the WCG Beta WUs to start downloading/running.

Since I am new to Beta testing, I don't know how long the Beta test will go on.  However, an idea came to me.  What if I could relocate a WU from one computer to another.  Assume the Beta testing lasts for a week.  The deadline will undoubtedly expire on the Suspended Yoyo WUs.  Since all my computers are networked together and BoincTasks is managing all the computers BOINC work, is it possible to move suspended WUs from one computer to another?  That would elevate the deadline issue completely.

Linux Mint 14 DE: Cinnamon Operating System

fred

Quote from: Gandalf on July 09, 2013, 11:37:02 PM
I know this belongs in the Wish List.  I just hope it doesn't belong in the drop dead list.
Not possible, a wish for a lot of users. :o

Gandalf

I know it's possible via FTP.  Is this a BOINC issue?
Linux Mint 14 DE: Cinnamon Operating System

fred

Quote from: Gandalf on July 10, 2013, 02:02:43 PM
I know it's possible via FTP.  Is this a BOINC issue?
The BOINC project server doesn't allow this to happen. No way.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on July 10, 2013, 02:04:39 PM
The BOINC project server doesn't allow this to happen. No way.
The only viable transfer way I was aware of was to transfer the whole BOINC installation and let it crunch elsewhere. No way to split the WUs.
Peter

Corsair

I remember that there was a program named SETIGate and another one done for SETI too (guess SETIHide) that they act as a server and all computers download the WU from the server with the one I can not remember the name you could say how many WU you want to download and after the work was distributed trough the network this was very useful for computers not connected to internet because the WU were downloaded and results uploaded to the server and you could retrieve all the job when you'd were connected to the internet with only the server computer.

could be done something similar that BT acts as server and the hosts in the network do de connection through this server and the work will be distributed as need required from the hosts.

some info of SETIGate: http://www.sprito.com/tutorial/setigate/
info of SETIHide: http://www.scheit.de/seti/setihide.html
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on September 22, 2013, 04:07:47 PM
Quote from: Corsair on September 22, 2013, 03:19:32 PM
some info of SETIGate: http://www.sprito.com/tutorial/setigate/
That's old old old.

I guess it was SETIdriver instead of SETIHide I used a lot because I download as many WU of SETI before I left home and when was possible I uploaded results and downloaded new WU with only the laptop but crunching with the whole network on board.

ouhhh yeaaahhh is old old that is nearly the stone age of the computing that was when we crunched for SETI and BOINC still was only an idea in the mind of some visionaries  ;D ;D ;D
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

MarkJ

There was SETIqueue as well which was quite popular. Unfortunately there is nothing similar for BOINC.

MarkJ

Related to the old SETI programs there is a proposal for SuperHost which would have similar functionality to the SetiGate and SetiQueue programs. The proposed design ideas can be found at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/SuperHost

Maybe if Fred wants a new project to look at  ;D

fred

Quote from: MarkJ on January 03, 2014, 11:23:55 PM
Related to the old SETI programs there is a proposal for SuperHost which would have similar functionality to the SetiGate and SetiQueue programs. The proposed design ideas can be found at [
The post is 3 years old.... :o

A proxy server could do most of it.