BOINC on Android

Started by RCC_Survivor, July 25, 2013, 10:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCC_Survivor

BOINC Tasks is a terrific program. I have just discovered it and like what I see.

Do you have any plans to include BOINC on Android devices in BOINC Tasks?

I have 5 PCs and 2 Android devices. Can't see what the Androids are doing and they have validated about 100 WCG WUs in just a few days.

fred

Quote from: RCC_Survivor on July 25, 2013, 10:43:42 PM
BOINC Tasks is a terrific program. I have just discovered it and like what I see.

Do you have any plans to include BOINC on Android devices in BOINC Tasks?

I have 5 PCs and 2 Android devices. Can't see what the Androids are doing and they have validated about 100 WCG WUs in just a few days.
Should work, but I will setup a test.

Pepo

I've no problem monitoring my Android BOINC with BoincTasks. As soon as I do not forget finding out and manually enter its daily changing IP address into BT :D
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on August 16, 2013, 05:43:20 PM
I've no problem monitoring my Android BOINC with BoincTasks. As soon as I do not forget finding out and manually enter its daily changing IP address into BT :D
That's probably a different program, than the official version.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on August 17, 2013, 08:46:30 AM
Quote from: Pepo on August 16, 2013, 05:43:20 PM
I've no problem monitoring my Android BOINC with BoincTasks.
That's probably a different program, than the official version.
True, it's the NativeBOINC. I've already installed also the official version, but not yet tried to monitor it. What's the problem there?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on August 17, 2013, 09:12:03 PM
[True, it's the NativeBOINC. I've already installed also the official version, but not yet tried to monitor it. What's the problem there?
There is no way to access the data folder.
So no password and IP allowed to change.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on August 18, 2013, 06:17:31 AM
??? :-\
Peter

Corsair

Ok, installed NativeBOINC in an Android TV system and correct the follow-up of projects.

one question how could be monitored the temperature of the system via BT?
(I supposed that would be with a 3rd party software in Android?)
but is it possible?

no problem with IP as is fixed assignation via router and properly setup the access.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

Pepo

Quote from: Corsair on August 18, 2013, 07:51:25 PM
...how could be monitored the temperature of the system via BT?
(I supposed that would be with a 3rd party software in Android?)
but is it possible?
Probably yes. Many tools can display the battery temperature.

This would actually be a very nice, useful and simple addition to BOINC communication protocol, wouldn't it?

Quote from: Corsair on August 18, 2013, 07:51:25 PM
no problem with IP as is fixed assignation via router and properly setup the access.
My home WiFi AP is simulated with a Win7 notebook - network sharing. Unfortunately there is no way to extend the DHCP lease duration and I'm always getting different IP. Additionally, the connection gets unusable after each few (1-30) hours ::)
Peter

cristipurdel

Quote from: fred on August 18, 2013, 06:17:31 AM
Quote from: Pepo on August 17, 2013, 09:12:03 PM
[True, it's the NativeBOINC. I've already installed also the official version, but not yet tried to monitor it. What's the problem there?
Can you please head over to github, and give insights how would modifying boinc would make discovery on BOINCTasks possible/easier?
https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/1699

fred

cristipurdel

Quote from: fred on December 25, 2018, 12:54:43 AM
Quote from: cristipurdel on December 24, 2018, 12:23:40 PM
https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/1699
Why not using nativeBOINC, as it is actively maintained?
From their main page:
NOTE: Development of this project was suspended over two years ago. Currently, the NativeBOINC doesn't works correctly on Android 5.0 or later. We recommend to use an official BOINC client for Android.

Also on github there is no activity since a few years

hucker

Bumping this up.  Any progress?  I'm happy to change the client on the phones if necessary.  But NativeBoinc refuses to install an the official Boinc doesn't allow connection to Boinctasks.

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 10, 2020, 12:24:41 PM
Any progress?
Don't know, this is a BOINC project, not related to BoincTasks.
Probably no one available to work on the project.
The official BOINC client in the app seems te be incompatible with all the other BOINC clients. 

hucker

Quote from: fred on January 10, 2020, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: hucker on January 10, 2020, 12:24:41 PM
Any progress?
Don't know, this is a BOINC project, not related to BoincTasks.
Probably no one available to work on the project.
The official BOINC client in the app seems te be incompatible with all the other BOINC clients.

So you're saying there's no way to make Boinctasks talk to phones without the phone end being recoded?  Pity, as there are quite a lot of more and more powerful phones around that can add a little extra to Boinc processing.  I've been using mine for a couple of months, and only 4 projects have provided any work for them.