News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

How do I start

Started by fred, September 11, 2013, 02:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Watch this instruction.

Go to the login page: Login BoincTasks cloud

If you are using IE, IE 10 is the minimum version.

1) Select the create account button below.
Use a valid email address and supply a password and press "Create new account".

2) Wait for the confirmation link to arrive and click on the link.
You are directed to a confirmation page and you should be able to log into the account.
But wait here DO NOT LOG IN yet.....

3) In BoincTasks go to Extra->BoincTasks settings and select the Cloud tab.
Check "Cloud enable"

Fill in the same e-mail address as you used while creating the account.
Use the same password.

In the field right of the e-mail address you should see seti.nl
That is the name of the cloud server. If its't not there fill it in.

Wait for at least 10 seconds, until  BoincTasks shows: Logged in successfully.

4) Now go back to the browser and log in with the same e-mail and password.  Login BoincTasks cloud
As BoincTasks is put into sleep mode, it may take some time for the connection to complete.

Watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/BY5kbYjVXYo

A quick tour:
http://www.youtube.com/JH7p2oSp7aY

coolstream

Excellent job. I've been hoping for something like this for a long time.

Here's some feedback:

1. I tried to log into the server from several machines using various flavours of IE and whenever I got a messsage like 'logging into server', nothing seemed to happen no matter how long I left it. Using FF, the responses were immediate and I was able to continue the test.

2. Looking at the screen started to make my eyes hurt. I can now see that any line that doesn't have a yellow background seems is showing text with a white offset shadow. It gives the impression that these lines of text are engraved and in my opinion makes it difficult to read especially when scanning many lines. Do you see this too? ...and if so, would it be possible to lose the white shadow?

3. In a normal window, there is no horizontal scrollbar which means you have to use F11 to get a full screen or extend your viewing window. I appreciate that it is possible to make text smaller, but in order to make the text more legible due to the white shadows, I actually had to increase text size to 12 points.

4. I know I have reported in the past that sometimes a machine seems to be disconnected from BT and that for me, it is easier to goto the Computers tab and deselect and then reconnect which usually seems to reconnect the PC. I can't find a way to this in the cloud. Am I missing something or is this on your 'todo' list?

5. One thing I would welcome would be a means of showing a count of connected PCs and units being processed as in BT's popup. It would make it far easier than scrolling down the page and keeping a mental note of any machines that have become disconnected. Instead of a popup, a line at the top or bottom of the tasks screen would be appreciated.

6. From the point of view of viewing away from home, is there a way to access TThrottle through this interface?

Thanks for your time in making this feature available. I hope you will find my comments of some use.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 15, 2013, 12:25:52 PM
Excellent job. I've been hoping for something like this for a long time.

What do you use a laptop?

1) IE 10 works fine, everything below isn't compatible. IE 10 is the first one that is standard as all other browsers.

2) Shadow's in the text are probably caused by the screen. Try options and set another font size. Yellow is a primary color other are mixed with 3 pixels, so depending on the screen and how everything fits on the screen you may have a problem.
Try another text color.
Trying another browser may help.
Setting true type in Windows may help.
On e.g. an iPad the colors are better aligned.

I will add an option to select different fonts, that may solve things. Some fonts are better for some screens.

3) I will check if that is an option.

4) Going to the computers and toggling (select deselect) the computer should do that.
If not I have to add that.

5) I was thinking along the line of a simple view, suitable for phones as well that shows basic info, like the gadget computer info.
And what is now a switch to a more advanced view.

6) Added to the TThrottle list.

It is a lot of work indeed.... But a lot of new stuff for me, so that's good.
This was more like an experiment if it could work at all, I tried things like Google drive, but the delay is way too long

coolstream

Quote from: fred on September 15, 2013, 01:02:00 PMWhat do you use a laptop?
Yes

Quote1) IE 10 works fine, everything below isn't compatible. IE 10 is the first one that is standard as all other browsers.
Good point. The laptop is using Vista, so no IE10 for me :(

I'd love to test this further, however I can't get past the login screen today. Has anything been changed? After 5 attempts to connect, I am returned to login screen.

I'll come back to the rest of your reply once I can login again.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 18, 2013, 11:33:54 AM
Quote from: fred on September 15, 2013, 01:02:00 PMWhat do you use a laptop?
Yes

Quote1) IE 10 works fine, everything below isn't compatible. IE 10 is the first one that is standard as all other browsers.
Good point. The laptop is using Vista, so no IE10 for me :(

I'd love to test this further, however I can't get past the login screen today. Has anything been changed? After 5 attempts to connect, I am returned to login screen.

I'll come back to the rest of your reply once I can login again.
Nothing changed.....
What to use is Chrome or the latest Firefox.

coolstream

Latest Chrome and FF used and still same problem, i.e. Login OK but failed to connect.

A moment of clarity struck me and I went back to BT | Cloud tab. I noticed that it said Login failed so I updated username and password and now problem is solved.

What I am unsure about is how long BT had been showing the 'login failed' message. If this has been the case since 24+ hours, how often is this status checked?

OK, back to replying to your previous post.

Quote from: fred on September 15, 2013, 01:02:00 PM
2) Shadow's in the text are probably caused by the screen. Try options and set another font size. Yellow is a primary color other are mixed with 3 pixels, so depending on the screen and how everything fits on the screen you may have a problem.
Try another text color.
Trying another browser may help.
Setting true type in Windows may help.
On e.g. an iPad the colors are better aligned.

I will add an option to select different fonts, that may solve things. Some fonts are better for some screens.

Interesting what you say about the background colours. I don't see the same behaviour in BT itself, so maybe something to do with the way the browser is displaying them. I get the same situation whether I use laptop or PC although I must admit that the situation is more bearable when using my DELL monitors (1080p+).

On a practical level, I find I'm getting more used to the display on the laptop especially when I have increased font size. Being able to try a different font might improve the situation enough to make things more bearable.

Quote4) Going to the computers and toggling (select deselect) the computer should do that.
If not I have to add that.
True. I prefer to simply deselect the offending PC in the BT | Computers tab and then select it again. This 'wake up' is enough to cause the connection to refresh and bring data back to BT. If this doesn't work, I then attemt to take control of the PC with Ultra VNC and only if a VNC connection can be made, do I move from Virtuality to reality (i.e. get off my ass and interface with the PC in a good old-fashioned manner) ;)

QuoteIt is a lot of work indeed.... But a lot of new stuff for me, so that's good.
This was more like an experiment if it could work at all, I tried things like Google drive, but the delay is way too long
I love a challenge too even though I am just a 'back seat driver' in this project.
I really appreciate what you have achieved so far and I know I'm not the only one.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 21, 2013, 11:11:53 AM
OK, back to replying to your previous post.
The status is checked every 30 seconds or so. But if the password or username are not correct only once.

The shadow text should be a browser thing. I have a high res monitor, so I must try this out on a less perfect monitor.
A font will probably help a lot.

A lot of things still have room for improvement, probably in 1.55.
1.54 has too many items added and changed for now.

coolstream

I totally understand.

Looking forward to testing 1.54 ;)

Corsair

Ok done again the whole process and now accessing in the CLOUD with the new server.

the only issue is that have to be done the whole process below instead using the credentials from the old server.

the problem of accessing your web was solved as my ISP provide me with new IP and not blacklist from your ISP.

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on September 26, 2013, 04:23:24 PM
Ok done again the whole process and now accessing in the CLOUD with the new server.
the only issue is that have to be done the whole process below instead using the credentials from the old server.
I could have used the copy of the other server, but I was afraid things where not compatible.
Anyway, there where only a handful of users.

coolstream

Wow, you have been busy! Excellent job with this  new version!

1. The addition of selectable font and weight has fixed my annoyance with the 'ghosting'  ;D

2. As you will have realised from my reply to the efmer channel on youtube (ref grouping machines), this is a new feature to me. I am now running a test with groups of machines based on the aount of theads they are running. In BT it is esy to switch between groups, but in the cloud view I can't find a way of easily making the switch. Are you planning on making this available?

3. In the first post of this thread, you say to go to 'Login BoincTasks cloud'. The link is still pointing to the old server and should be changed to the new server.

Everything else seems to be running smoothly ;)

fred

Quote from: coolstream on October 03, 2013, 02:09:43 AM
Wow, you have been busy! Excellent job with this  new version!

1. The addition of selectable font and weight has fixed my annoyance with the 'ghosting'  ;D
Good, there are a lot of additions to the new version.
The grouping is in the computer selector.

coolstream

Quote from: fred on October 03, 2013, 04:53:35 AM
The grouping is in the computer selector.
OK, I'll take a look at that

coolstream

OK, I have now had a play with the Computer selection and see that you have taked a different tack to BT with how this function works.

Whilst it is good to be able to select which computers are displayed regardless of their group (something that would be useful to some in BT itself), there is no way to quickly display the computers in any one particular group e.g.  in BT to show a group of PCs you just click on the group title (from the Sidebar Computer selection bar. On the cloud version, that facility doesn't exist and the user has to select PCs he wants to be displayed and deselect the ones he doesn't. If there were an option adjacent to the '+' in the selection popup to 'show' or 'not show', this would be similar in function to the sidebar in BT.

Does that explain my observation better?

fred

Quote from: coolstream on October 05, 2013, 08:05:32 AM
Does that explain my observation better?
It's on my to-do list.