TThrottle and BOINC Processor Time Setting

Started by boincindave, June 26, 2014, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boincindave

Hello,

Thank you for your programs I enjoy them a lot.  :)

I have a question which I haven't seen answered.  BOINC has a setting for how much processor time to use.  TThrottle also has this setting.  Which takes priority?
Example
BOINC processor time = Use at most50% of processor
TThrottle cpu use is max 50 min 50.
Does this mean BOINC will use 25% of the processor? (TThrottle uses 50% of the BOINC preference setting?)  Or TThrottle ignores this BOINC setting and uses 50% processor time?

Asked another way are TThrottle cpu min/max values determined by the BOINC processor time setting?

I hope this is clear. ;D
Thank you.

fred

Quote from: boincindave on June 26, 2014, 08:57:31 PM
I have a question which I haven't seen answered.  BOINC has a setting for how much processor time to use.  TThrottle also has this setting.  Which takes priority?
Example
BOINC processor time = Use at most50% of processor
TThrottle cpu use is max 50 min 50.
Does this mean BOINC will use 25% of the processor? (TThrottle uses 50% of the BOINC preference setting?)  Or TThrottle ignores this BOINC setting and uses 50% processor time?

Asked another way are TThrottle cpu min/max values determined by the BOINC processor time setting?

I hope this is clear. ;D
Thank you.
Limiting by BOINC:
Use at most 50%. As far as I know BOINC orders the task to shut down ever xx second, so 2 second on and 2 second off for 50%
This isn't very efficient and makes the CPU temps to go up and down

On multiprocessor... 50% switches off a number of (virtual)l cores. On a 4 core system it uses only 2 of them.

You can do the same with TThrottle by setting Max CPU % to 50 and min CPU % to 50.
The difference is that TThrottle stops the Tasks closer to the core of the system. It switches quicker causes less stress on the CPU.

TThrottle doesn't see any BOINC setting, except the fact that there are less cores running or the temps stay lower.

TThrottle CPU % is determined by the CPU core temperature only. And by the manual override of CPU max en CPU min.

About priority, the BOINC settings always work, TThrottle always works when needed.

Basically you should not use "Use at most" and TThrottle at the same time, use one or the other.
"On multiprocessor" can be used with TThrottle.

boincindave

Quote from: fred on June 27, 2014, 06:41:13 AM
Basically you should not use "Use at most" and TThrottle at the same time, use one or the other.
"On multiprocessor" can be used with TThrottle.

Then I set Use at most to 100% and TThrottle will run according to its preference settings.  This is the correct way?   Use at most have to have some value there, I tried leaving it blank and set to 0 and in each case it set itself to 100%.  :D

fred

Quote from: boincindave on June 27, 2014, 09:51:34 PM

Then I set Use at most to 100% and TThrottle will run according to its preference settings.  This is the correct way?   Use at most have to have some value there, I tried leaving it blank and set to 0 and in each case it set itself to 100%.  :D
Yep,  only set the CPU and or GPU temps and you are done.

boincindave