News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

TThrottle Exclude Function

Started by dDr, September 17, 2014, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dDr

Hello.

I don't understand exactly how the exclude function works along with a couple other things.

1) In Programs tab: TThrottle doesn't have any effect unless Auto Active is checked on?
What happens if you uncheck it but leave Expert checked?

2) In BOINC tab: In the Exclude CPU/Include GPU, I'm not understanding how this is working.  I would like TThrottle to ignore all gpu projects.  I prefer to use EVGA PrecisionX or MSI Afterburner to handle gpu temps control.
__ati and cuda are always listed in this field after a reboot.  This means ati and cuda projects are included?
If I want to exclude them, I need to add the url listed at the left?

As you see I'm a little confused.  ???

I guess I want to know how to use TThrottle to only limit certain BOINC projects.

Thank you.

fred

Quote from: dDr on September 17, 2014, 09:09:00 AM
I don't understand exactly how the exclude function works along with a couple other things.
1) Auto Active must be checked, the expert check only shows more items, but does nothing in itself.
2) The exclude tab, excludes CPU tasks and move them over to the GPU regulator. It just tells TThrottle it's a GPU task.
2) Take a look at C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle\examples tthrottle.xml.

<exclude>
  <project>xfreehal.net</project>
  <percentage>3.5</percentage>
  <debug>1</debug>
</exclude>

This excludes all tasks from the project.
Place it in C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle\ edit it, exit TThrottle and restart it.

If you don't want any GPU regulation, just set "Set GPU" too a very high temp.

dDr

Thanks for the reply.  Neither of these has worked, my gpu tasks keep getting throttled down regardless of temp settings or xml config.  I can see this happening both in TThrottle monitor and MSI Afterburner.

I set my gpu temp to 100;100;100, those temps are never approached.  This has no effect.  :(

I copied the xml example, replacing the name with my projects, no change in behavior.  I tried various things like using the full url, using different value, no effect.  :(

With Connect to Boinc client in BOINC tab checked, and project url added to the Exclude CPU/Include GPU field, isn't that the same function as the xml file?  Either way neither is working for me to exclude my gpu projects.

If I uncheck Connect with BOINC client in BOINC tab, and check Expert mode on, then only processes listed in the Programs list should be throttled, is that correct?

fred

Quote from: dDr on October 21, 2014, 11:47:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.  Neither of these has worked, my gpu tasks keep getting throttled down regardless of temp settings or xml config.  I can see this happening both in TThrottle monitor and MSI Afterburner.
What project do you want to exclude?

dDr

Mainly gpugrid since it's the one mostly affected and where I first noticed the problem.  This is what I mean.  It will throttle each card to 0.

When this happens TThrottle shows Running GPU of 100%, but the GPU graph bar is not 100%.  It jumps up and down

My gpu temp setting is 100:100:100.  I am right now using MSI Afterburner with temp control set to 70 C.

My exclude.

Quote<TThrottle>

<exclude>
  <project>www.gpugrid.net</project>
  <percentage>100</percentage>
  <debug>1</debug>
</exclude>

</TThrottle>

I tried a few values in percentage but it doesn't have an affect.

My log.

TThrottle.xml found.
<exclude><project> www.gpugrid.net
<exclude><percentage> 100.0
<exclude><debug> 1

I want to exclude all gpu projects, I also run Einstein and Milkyway.  They aren't affected as much since they don't run as long as gpugrid jobs.

fred

Quote from: dDr on October 24, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
Mainly gpugrid since it's the one mostly affected and where I first noticed the problem.  This is what I mean.  It will throttle each card to 0.

Ok The best way to use TThrottle is to set Connect to BOINC in the second tab.
The 100%, 100% 100% means all GPU cards are allowed to run at 100%, so TThrottle is not working on these cards.
The GPU bar is what all cards are effectively running. It's never 100% and the bar will jump.
If you set the GPU temp on 100, one value is working as well will disable TThrottle.
TThrottle shows  100% Running GPU so that disables TThrottle.

That doesn't mean the cards will actually run 100%, that depends on how effective the GPU is being used. So 100% on TThrottle means the cards are running at the max.

dDr

Thanks for your help.  This is all I want to do, keep the cards working at their max ability, but TThrottle sometimes slows them to 0.

Here's what I see today.

The graph should normally be stable except for minor changes.  I use the computer for other things besides BOINC so any time something else needs the gpu like I move or resize a window, it will affect the graph.  That's the small changes.  You see how TThrottle slows it down.  Sometimes it will hold the card near 0 for 2 minutes or more.  It will stop throttling after a bit, then throttle again in another 4-5 minutes, this continues to cycle.  I can also tell it's being slowed because the card temps drop.

What is interesting is today is it only slows 2 of my 3 cards but I've seen it slow all 3 before.  It seems to be excluding the card BOINC identifies as GPU1, which is actually GPU2 in the system.

I tried a few things today.
Connect with BOINC client has always been checked on.  I've tried it both ways, no affect either way.
Remove things from the Include/Exclude list (I left cuda in).
Uncheck Expert mode.
Use only one entry 100 for GPU temp instead of 100;100;100.

Nothing made a difference.  I know TThrottle is causing this because if it's not running, the cards work at their full rate continuously.

You can see the full log today if you want.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58571649/efMer/tthrottlelog102514.txt

fred

Quote from: dDr on October 25, 2014, 06:40:45 PM
Nothing made a difference.  I know TThrottle is causing this because if it's not running, the cards work at their full rate continuously.
You can check the TThrottle scalable graph. Check the GPU %, it should stay at 100%.
The only thing I can think of is that a wrong process is ID as a CPU and actually is a GPU feeding process.

So don't include any programs in the First tab expert list, because is any of them is a GPU process may be throttled

Check the processes in the first tab if there are any GPU processes marked as CPU, that could pose a problem and do the thing you are mentioning.
Can you give me an exact project task, so I can try it over here.

dDr

Quote from: fred on October 26, 2014, 06:13:37 PM
You can check the TThrottle scalable graph. Check the GPU %, it should stay at 100%.
The only thing I can think of is that a wrong process is ID as a CPU and actually is a GPU feeding process.

In this screenshot the gpu graph is as high as it gets in TThrottle.  It should stay there but in my earlier screenshot a few posts up, it will drop like that and sometimes lower.
I think the problem is it identifying the gpugrid app as cpu.  See if you agree.

(by the way I am not sure why it started in Expert mode and has Programs listed there.  I removed those and unchecked Expert box when I closed TThrottle last time, before running it today.)

Later an Einstein task started and it shows as gpu.

So don't include any programs in the First tab expert list, because is any of them is a GPU process may be throttled

Well this is my original question because it seems these programs are included automatically.   ;D

Check the processes in the first tab if there are any GPU processes marked as CPU, that could pose a problem and do the thing you are mentioning.
Can you give me an exact project task, so I can try it over here.

I'm now thinking this must be the problem.
I run both long and short gpugrid tasks.  I am not sure if both of them are getting slowed or not.  Now a long and short are running and they both are using the acemd.841-60.exe shown in the screenshot.

Is there a cpu or gpu app flag that is set in BOINC?  Maybe gpugrid developer need to set this correctly.

fred

Quote from: dDr on October 27, 2014, 12:58:40 AM
Is there a cpu or gpu app flag that is set in BOINC?  Maybe gpugrid developer need to set this correctly.
Yep that's the reason why the BOINC is now the only way to go.
You use the legacy unsupported version.

But you should still be able to get it to work in the legacy mode;
In the Boinc tab add acemd to the Exclude CPU / Include GPU list.

That works on my machine, but the "connect with BOINC" works out of the box.
It detects wrappers, vbox and all......

dDr

Quote from: fred on October 27, 2014, 07:32:10 AM
Quote from: dDr on October 27, 2014, 12:58:40 AM
Yep that's the reason why the BOINC is now the only way to go.
You use the legacy unsupported version.

But you should still be able to get it to work in the legacy mode;
In the Boinc tab add acemd to the Exclude CPU / Include GPU list.

That works on my machine, but the "connect with BOINC" works out of the box.
It detects wrappers, vbox and all......

Actually I'm using a beta version 7.4.22.  And maybe this is the problem why it won't work automatically.  It took me awhile but today I realized it sometimes isn't connected to BOINC client even though the box is checked.  Then after a time it connects.  It may take a long time.  Is there any programs you know that would interfere?  Maybe I need to set a different port?

I added acemd to gpu list and that works great.  8)

Thanks for your help on this.

fred

Quote from: dDr on November 04, 2014, 04:52:21 AM

Actually I'm using a beta version 7.4.22
A problem with the client may cause this, or the computer is too busy for the client to run properly.
But when there is no connection, TThrottle falls back to the legacy mode, that should work.