Global BOINC Preference Change

Started by ritterm, June 17, 2016, 08:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritterm

Is it possible to change BOINC preferences on all or multiple connected computers at the same time?  For example, I'd like to be able to set the minimum work buffer (Extra -> BOINC preference -> Network) for all computers to the same value without repeating that action for each computer.  I don't see a way to select all or multiple computers in a way that effects the change at the same time.

MarkR

fred

There is a better way to do this.
Read: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Preferences

In BoincTasks you can remove the local override (for that one computer) by hitting the "Clear" button (Extra -> Boinc preference

ritterm

Thanks, Fred.  Maybe I don't entirely understand your response, didn't ask the right question, or didn't give enough information...

I participate in many projects and often run several different projects at time across all my hosts.  And, I almost never run different preferences on one host versus another.  So, I would prefer not to change preferences (such as work buffers) at the project(s).  That's why I was hoping there was a way (or could be a way, ha-ha!) to do that in BOINCTasks.

Am I still missing something?

fred

Quote from: ritterm on June 18, 2016, 08:16:18 PM
Am I still missing something?
Hmm, the project preference should be global so changing them on any project well work.
So updating the minimum work buffer of all computers on all projects, log in to the project and find preferences
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/prefs.php?subset=global Seti is the mostly standard but all project should have this tucked away somewhere.
Choose an active project and change the  minimum work buffer on the website.
Select all computes in BoincTasks and in the Project tab update all projects, that should change the value on all your computers.

ritterm

Quote from: fred on June 19, 2016, 01:13:32 PM...the project preference should be global so changing them on any project well work..
Thanks, again, Fred.  I see now that I did not read the BOINC documentation carefully/thoroughly.

Still, for someone who regularly switches between projects and often runs several projects at the same time, setting preferences at a project seems kind of clunky.  For example, say I have been running only Rosetta on all my hosts with a 2-day buffer and then want to add Einstein.  If the last time I ran Einstein I had a 1-day buffer set, wouldn't my hosts' buffer settings switch back and forth between 1- and 2-days until I went to one of the projects and set the buffer to the same as the other?

fred

Quote from: ritterm on June 19, 2016, 03:53:06 PM
Still, for someone who regularly switches between projects and often runs several projects at the same time, setting preferences at a project seems kind of clunky.  For example, say I have been running only Rosetta on all my hosts with a 2-day buffer and then want to add Einstein.  If the last time I ran Einstein I had a 1-day buffer set, wouldn't my hosts' buffer settings switch back and forth between 1- and 2-days until I went to one of the projects and set the buffer to the same as the other?
It would be too awkward to implement it would create a troublesome piece of code. I think it's too specific.

ritterm

Quote from: fred on June 24, 2016, 04:38:52 PMIt would be too awkward to implement it would create a troublesome piece of code. I think it's too specific.
I understand, Fred.  Thanks for your consideration and feedback.  Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

MarkR