wild CPU temperature swings, but not really

Started by vulpine05, January 04, 2019, 06:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vulpine05

I have been running TThrottle on a new computer build recently, and I have noticed that the CPU temperature swings wildly when I am away.  It rises and lowers sharply between ~55 deg C and 0 deg C, probably a few dozen times a minute (I can screen cap when I get home tonight).  I think this happens when the monitor goes to sleep, and I know for sure it does this when I lock the computer.  Once the computer "wakes up", the temperature displays like normal.  Keep in mind, BOINC is running the whole time.

However, I am using HWiNFO to reference the Tctrl temp, and when I graph that temperature it stays in the 50s.  I suspect TThrottle is either getting bad information when my computer turns off the display, or it is having difficulty interpreting the data for some reason.  This does not appear to be affecting throttling or performance of the computer, it just looks weird.

My computer is a Ryzen 3 2200G with a ASRock B450 Pro4 mobo, stock cooler, running Windows 10.  No discrete GPU.

fred

Quote from: vulpine05 on January 04, 2019, 06:37:16 PM
My computer is a Ryzen 3 2200G with a ASRock B450 Pro4 mobo, stock cooler, running Windows 10.  No discrete GPU.
TThrottle is using the AMD driver, it probably stops recognizes it without a monitor, that's not an uncommon problem.

HWiNFO reads the card more directly.
If HWiNFO is running all the time, TThrottle can interface with HWiNFO and can use it's temperature.

Go to the tab external and check HWiNFO and select the right temperature source.

vulpine05

QuoteTThrottle is using the AMD driver, it probably stops recognizes it without a monitor, that's not an uncommon problem.

HWiNFO reads the card more directly.
If HWiNFO is running all the time, TThrottle can interface with HWiNFO and can use it's temperature.

Go to the tab external and check HWiNFO and select the right temperature source.
Actually, this is happening with HWinfo engaged.  I have TThrottle reading the Tctrl/Tdie sensor for the CPU, and the GPU thermal diode for the integrated graphics.

I actually had to install HWinfo and read these sensors because if I don't, the temperature it is "reading" is 0 deg C, constant, with no fluctuation.

fred

Quote from: vulpine05 on January 05, 2019, 04:08:26 AM

Actually, this is happening with HWinfo engaged.  I have TThrottle reading the Tctrl/Tdie sensor for the CPU, and the GPU thermal diode for the integrated graphics.

I actually had to install HWinfo and read these sensors because if I don't, the temperature it is "reading" is 0 deg C, constant, with no fluctuation.
[/quote]
You can contact HWinfo, they might have a solution.

vulpine05

But it isn't HWiNFO where the error is popping up, it is in TThrottle.  When I look at the temperature trend on HWiNFO for the same sensor, it is "normal".

fred

Quote from: vulpine05 on January 06, 2019, 12:57:57 AM
But it isn't HWiNFO where the error is popping up, it is in TThrottle.  When I look at the temperature trend on HWiNFO for the same sensor, it is "normal".
That indicates TThrottle looses the connection with HWiNFO.
Locking the computer shouldn't do anything.
My guess Windows blocks the connection.
You could try GPUZ instead.

pcook

Hi! I also have been seeing a sawtooth pattern in TThrottle's graph of the cpu temperature data. In my case it IS a problem with HWiNFO64. My motherboard, an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING, uses an ITE IT8665E Super IO chip for temperature sensing and fan control. This chip apparently has a history of not being happy if more than one application is accessing it at the same time, causing it to eventually, any where from hours to days, stop responding to data requests. This causes HWiNFO64's sensor readings to lock and Tthrottle to oscillate between what it natively sees, in my case 15 C, and the last value HWiNFO64 presented at the time of lockup. The other application in my case is iCUE from Corsair used for controlling the lights on my Corsair memory. Once this issue is triggered, it takes a system reboot to get access to the data again. Would it be possible for you to add OpenHardwareMonitor to the list of external temperature sources? It seems to be able to sense my AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with no problems when this happens, showing the same temperature data under AMD Ryzen 7 2700X/CPU Package as HWiNFO64 shows for the cpu die reading. It publishes its data through WMI.

fred

Quote from: pcook on August 17, 2020, 08:54:41 PM
Hi! I also have been seeing a sawtooth pattern in TThrottle's graph of the cpu temperature data. In my case it IS a problem with HWiNFO64.
Did you report it here https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/? The best approach is to get rid of the bug there.

pcook

Hmmm.... The first thing I did was check out the hwinfo.com forum, where I found that other people have been having problems with the sensor readings of ASUS motherboards. (2020 thread.)

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/frozen-values-in-hwinfo.6495/

I checked on the Corsair forums and found talk of the issues of using HWiNO and iCUE together. (2018 thread.)

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180150&t=180150

I tried disabling HWInfo's monitoring of Corsair devices, but that didn't seem to work.

And here on an ASUS forum, I found where they talk about a bug with the ITE IT8665E (the Super IO chip that the motherboard uses for fan/temperature sensors and fan control) and how it reacts to getting polled a lot by software like hwinfo. (2018 thread.)

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102138-CPU-and-case-fans-mysteriously-stopping-on-the-ASUS-Prime-X470-Pro

Open Hardware Monitor seems to be accessing CPU, GPU and hard drive temperature data directly. If the  ITE IT8665E is available, Open Hardware Monitor will show it under ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING and show the motherboard sensor data, ie. temperatures (CPU, Socket, Chipset, etc.) fan speeds, memory temperatures, etc. If the ITE IT8665E is hot feeling sociable, then it doesn't even show, in fact nothing shows, under the motherboard entry.

Since finding out all of this info, I have been looking into writing a little app as a test of how to access Open Hardware Monitor's sensor readings via WMI as they suggest. What language is TThrottle written in?

fred

Quote from: pcook on August 19, 2020, 05:06:09 PM
Hmmm.... The first thing I did was check out the hwinfo.com forum, where I found that other people have been having problems with the sensor readings of ASUS motherboards. (2020 thread.)
The Open Hardware Monitor seems to require TThrottle to run as Administrator.
Don't know why they don't add a better interface/api.

TThrottle is written in CPP.

pcook

Hi again! Here is what I came up with. It is a little console app that finds out what CPUs/GPUs are in the system using OpenHardwareMonitor WMI, then displays some temperature data for them. The code is based on the WMI sample code found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wmisdk/example-creating-a-wmi-application

The app WMI Code Creator v1.0 was used to inspect the OpenHardwareMonitor WMI namespace. It can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8572

I was going to attach the code and exe, but adding attachments does not seem to be an option.

I hope this helps. It ran on my system, but only further testing will tell how well it does on others.

fred

Quote from: pcook on August 22, 2020, 02:36:26 AM
Hi again! Here is what I came up with. It is a little console app that finds out what CPUs/GPUs are in the system using OpenHardwareMonitor WMI, then displays some temperature data for them. The code is based on the WMI sample code found here:
Working on it, enumeration OK

Fred

fred

Quote from: pcook on August 22, 2020, 02:36:26 AM
Hi again!
If you want your name added to the TThrottle About Box let me know the name to use.
At the moment everything seems to work. After more testing the beta version should arrive soon.

pcook

Hi Fred! Thank you. Yes, I would enjoy being added. After looking at the about again, I think that "pcook" should work just fine.

fred

Quote from: pcook on August 25, 2020, 12:22:20 AM
Hi Fred! Thank you. Yes, I would enjoy being added. After looking at the about again, I think that "pcook" should work just fine.
Download is  here https://efmer.eu/download/boinc/tthrottle/unified/setup_32_64_tthrottle_7_7_3.exe