How can I run Tthrottle as a service? On the background with centralized config?

Started by cuksman, September 12, 2019, 01:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuksman

Hello there guys.
First things first. Nice job coding Ttthrotle.
1. Im trying to find a way to run Tthrotle without the need for the user to be logged in.

2. How can I configure the program once in a administrator account, then all other users wont have to config themselves?
I find very anoying that all the users of the machine will have to deal with de Update dialog, and even whorse, to deal with a mistery gray box that just wont go away for no reason.

3. My idea is to run boinc and tthrottle to avoid overheating and excessive noise. For that i would need to install tthrottle as admin, then all other users would run it in the background

4.Theres also the idea of running boinc in big networks ran by domain controllers. Most of the computers would stay in the logon dialog... How could I install Tthrottle so every user would be running boinc and tthrotle?

fred

Quote from: cuksman on September 12, 2019, 01:21:37 AM
Hello there guys.
First things first. Nice job coding Ttthrotle.
1. Im trying to find a way to run Tthrotle without the need for the user to be logged in.

2. How can I configure the program once in a administrator account, then all other users wont have to config themselves?
I find very anoying that all the users of the machine will have to deal with de Update dialog, and even whorse, to deal with a mistery gray box that just wont go away for no reason.

3. My idea is to run boinc and tthrottle to avoid overheating and excessive noise. For that i would need to install tthrottle as admin, then all other users would run it in the background

4.Theres also the idea of running boinc in big networks ran by domain controllers. Most of the computers would stay in the logon dialog... How could I install Tthrottle so every user would be running boinc and tthrotle?
Windows doesn't allow TThrottle to run as a service, the rights of a program running as a service are rather restricted.
2) You can start TThrottle as administator and go to preference and check "Allow TThrottle to be opened by Admin only"
There shouldn't be a gray box, try removing the check at "Show temperature window" in preference.
3) At the moment TThrottle only runs as user.

cuksman

Thanks for quick answering!
By the way, both tha update dialog, as the temperature box and the main windows are opened when the user log in
Could you tell me where the configs are placed? I would like to try to copy the configuration files from one user to another. I intend to install Tthrottle in about 60 machines. Some of them have their own users with passwords I may not have and I dont want them having to configure Tthrottle by themselves (they wouldnt even know how to).

fred

At startup TThrottle should hide itself, maybe not the first time around.

It's all in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle64 or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\TThrottle on a 32 bit machine.
Problably on settings, general and floatingdlg can be set on all machines.

You can use BoincTasks to remotely check TThrottle once it's running and allows a BoincTasks connection.

cuksman

Hey fred, im pretty sure the Only run as administrator feature is bugged. It wont allow me to open the program both with an regular user account and as a administrator. Tested in windows 10 and windows 7! Only solution is to reinstall Tthrottle

fred

Quote from: cuksman on October 04, 2019, 01:34:09 PM
Hey fred, im pretty sure the Only run as administrator feature is bugged. It wont allow me to open the program both with an regular user account and as a administrator. Tested in windows 10 and windows 7! Only solution is to reinstall Tthrottle
Just tested it on Win 10 latest updates installed.
Exit TThrottle.
If you have TThrottle on the desktop.
Click with the right mouse key and select run as Administrator. This is not the same as running an Administrator account and start TThrottle, weird as it is.
Now you can check Allow .....
If you want to open TThrottle you should be able to and TThrottle asks the Admin to log in and you have full access.

cuksman

thank you for quick replying Fred. I realized the password windows 10 asks for is the microsoft online password, not the local machine users password.
It did work opening the program with "Run as administrator".
Thank you