Can I view an android device form Windows Boinctasks?

Started by hucker, November 22, 2019, 11:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

I currently run Boinc on 3 desktops, all Windows 10.  One of them has Boinctasks, which I use to control them all and view progress.

I just installed Boinc on an Android phone, can I view it with my Windows 10 machine with Boinctasks along with the 3 desktops?

fred

Quote from: hucker on November 22, 2019, 11:01:16 PM
I just installed Boinc on an Android phone, can I view it with my Windows 10 machine with Boinctasks along with the 3 desktops?
The official BOINC version doesn't allow it.
Anyone who knows more?

hucker

Quote from: fred on November 23, 2019, 07:51:44 AM
The official BOINC version doesn't allow it.
Anyone who knows more?

I read somewhere of "Nativeboinc" and that it can work with Boinctasks, but it says it's discontinued:

http://nativeboinc.org/site/uncat/start

"NOTE: Development of this project was suspended over two years ago. Currently, the NativeBOINC doesn't works correctly on Android 5.0 or later. We recommend to use an official BOINC client for Android."

I have Android 7, so I guess it's a bad idea to try it.  It isn't in the Google Play Store anyway.

So Boinctasks is only communicating with my other PCs running normal Boinc because there's something in that normal Boinc that allows remote control?  If so, perhaps one of us should ask the Boinc people to add this to the next version?  Perhaps here?  https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues?utf8=✓&q=is%3Aopen

fred

Quote from: hucker on November 23, 2019, 07:20:28 PM
So Boinctasks is only communicating with my other PCs running normal Boinc because there's something in that normal Boinc that allows remote control?  If so, perhaps one of us should ask the Boinc people to add this to the next version?  Perhaps here?  https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues?utf8=✓&q=is%3Aopen
There is almost no work done on the BOINC Android app.
The request for BoincTasks is there, but no one to work on it.

My own experience: If you have GPU on your computer there isn't much sense to use Android BOINC, the GPU does more work in minutes than the phone does in days.
It's a serious drain on the batteries.

hucker

Quote from: fred on November 24, 2019, 10:06:21 AM
My own experience: If you have GPU on your computer there isn't much sense to use Android BOINC, the GPU does more work in minutes than the phone does in days.
It's a serious drain on the batteries.

I use two GPUs, one for Milkyway (it does better double precision) and one for Einstein.  But I still use the computers' CPUs because there are projects which don't have GPU tasks.  For those projects, an Android phone is comparable to a normal CPU.  A decent phone is about a quarter as fast!  And it hardly uses much power, and defaults to only crunching when plugged into the charger.  Plus I don't like having a chip sat next to me doing nothing!  All hands on deck!