BoincTasks Stealing Window Focus

Started by boincindave, December 16, 2019, 02:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boincindave

It took me a long time to figure this out.  I have finally tracked this problem down to BoincTasks thanks to Window Focus Logger.

http://www.adminscope.com/downloads/window-focus-logger/

BoincTasks is often taking focus from the active window when its minimized to the tray.  Sometimes the computer is almost impossible to use if I'm trying to type something, like this post.  I've tried to disable notices and warnings, but haven't got a solution yet.  Is anyone else having this problem?  I'm on 1.80. Actually I'd like to go back to the old version I had before installing this one, I don't remember the version number but it didn't do this when using it a few years.

JStateson

I have been running 1.80 24/7 since it came out and have not seen anything like you mentioned.  Maybe there is some setting you have enabled that is causing it.

The only time I have ever lost focus to BoincTasks was when one of my "rules' got triggered and sent a text message to my  phone that the temperature went too high on one of my systems.  The focus problem was obvious as the rules log popped up on the display and I found myself typing "into it".  I stopped that by not allowing the rules log to be enabled when activating a Boinctask rule.  That log was only good for diagnostics anyway.

Exactly what is the symptom you are seeing?

boincindave

I think probably the rules causes it.  But I never saw a popup notice.  usual behavior I would be in the web browser and I would lose control of the window.  Or trying to type something, all of a sudden I was no longer typing in the window.  Pretty aggravating. I disabled rules now and haven't noticed the problem for awhile.  The weird thing was the machine would seem fine for a couple days and then the problem would start it seemed random.

fred

Quote from: boincindave on December 22, 2019, 04:10:10 AM
The weird thing was the machine would seem fine for a couple days and then the problem would start it seemed random.
Didn't notice it before, but rules is what can cause BoincTasks to get the focus.
Set the rule to "Show nothing".
Got to Show->Rules log, setting "Enable debug mode" might give you more info.

boincindave

Thx I finally figured this out a few weeks ago and came here to post.  Weird thing to me is this is worst when using Notices option.  I decided I didn't really need a notice since I see the task paused anyway.  So this fixed it but I think kind of a buggy behavior and maybe can be changed in the future.  Thanks for your help.