Messages view doesn't show all computers at once

Started by hucker, January 10, 2020, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hucker

Messages view doesn't show all computers at once, but allows you to select all computers, without telling you it's not doing so.  It just displays the last single computer you selected.

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 10, 2020, 12:10:12 PM
Messages view doesn't show all computers at once, but allows you to select all computers, without telling you it's not doing so.  It just displays the last single computer you selected.
Right, but the selection window does.

hucker

Quote from: fred on January 10, 2020, 02:52:44 PM
Quote from: hucker on January 10, 2020, 12:10:12 PM
Right, but the selection window does.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by that.  What is the "selection window"?

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 10, 2020, 10:21:55 PM
Sorry, not sure what you mean by that.  What is the "selection window"?
View->Check Sidebar computer selection.

hucker

Oh that.  Yes but my problem is what messages are displayed.  If I select "all computers" at the top of the selection window, I don't get all the messages in the main pane, just the ones from the last single computer selected.  I guess showing all of them could make a lot of messages and overwhelm the computer, but if it restricted it to the last 1000....

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 11, 2020, 07:50:17 PM
Oh that.  Yes but my problem is what messages are displayed.
Displaying everything would certainly overwhelm you and your computer.

hucker

Quote from: fred on January 12, 2020, 06:37:12 PM
Quote from: hucker on January 11, 2020, 07:50:17 PM
Oh that.  Yes but my problem is what messages are displayed.
Displaying everything would certainly overwhelm you and your computer.

It seems it displays only the last 5000 messages when I select one computer.  Could the same not be done if I select all of them?  It's sometimes handy to see what all the computers have been doing recently.

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
It seems it displays only the last 5000 messages when I select one computer.  Could the same not be done if I select all of them?  It's sometimes handy to see what all the computers have been doing recently.
5000 is the BOINC Client Limit.
I will add it to my list and see if it's feasible.

hucker

Quote from: fred on January 13, 2020, 05:58:58 PM
Quote from: hucker on January 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
5000 is the BOINC Client Limit.
I will add it to my list and see if it's feasible.

Thankyou.  I don't know if a limitation would need to be added to only show the last (eg. 1000 messages from each of the 5 computers), as I run Boinctasks on a reasonably fast machine (i5 8600K) .  It would have no problem displaying 5 x 5000 messages, but I do notice that even with 1 x 5000 messages it does take a couple of seconds to display, so on a slower machine that could run into quite a long time.

fred

Quote from: hucker on January 13, 2020, 06:28:56 PM
Thankyou.  I don't know if a limitation would need to be added to only show the last (eg. 1000 messages from each of the 5 computers), as I run Boinctasks on a reasonably fast machine (i5 8600K) .  It would have no problem displaying 5 x 5000 messages, but I do notice that even with 1 x 5000 messages it does take a couple of seconds to display, so on a slower machine that could run into quite a long time.
Giving it more thought, I see no way to combine 5 computers and show messages together that have no relation to each other.
I'm afraid your end up with an unreadable bunch of messages.

hucker

Quote from: fred on January 14, 2020, 08:21:09 AM
Quote from: hucker on January 13, 2020, 06:28:56 PM
Giving it more thought, I see no way to combine 5 computers and show messages together that have no relation to each other.
I'm afraid your end up with an unreadable bunch of messages.

Not that I know anything about the programming behind it, but can't they just be displayed in chronological order?  That would be perfectly readable to me.   Ok, sometimes two computers might be doing things at once and you'd get two "conversations" intertwined, but usually not, and you can see from the computer column which is doing what.

fred

Combining computers is not possible in the current program.