Password Encryption Error

Started by Walt V, November 03, 2009, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt V

I have 3 machines I run BOINC on, 2 desktops (1 XP Pro-32 bit, 1 XP Home-32 bit) and 1 laptop (Vista - 64 bit).  Everytime I restart BoincTasks (say after a reboot of the system) I have to re-enter the password for the laptop. Here's the error from the log:

03 November 2009 - 15:24:57 computers ---- Name: laptop, IP: laptop
encrypt/decrypt error, before: bd01d44a546b0230f443ed6bbb1ea724 after: ÚÀ·™´¡Ï...<{>3

Despite the error, BT still connects to all 3 machines, it is only if I exit out of BT and re-start it, that I have to re-enter the password.

I am presently running BT v0.25, but this problem has existed since I started running BT @ v0.21.

Is it possible that the error is caused because the machine I run BoincTasks on runs XP Pro, and the laptop Vista, since I don't get this problem with the connection to the other XP machine?

Walt

fred

Quote from: Walt V on November 03, 2009, 08:56:26 PM
I have 3 machines I run BOINC on, 2 desktops (1 XP Pro-32 bit, 1 XP Home-32 bit) and 1 laptop (Vista - 64 bit).  Everytime I restart BoincTasks (say after a reboot of the system) I have to re-enter the password for the laptop. Here's the error from the log:

03 November 2009 - 15:24:57 computers ---- Name: laptop, IP: laptop
encrypt/decrypt error, before: bd01d44a546b0230f443ed6bbb1ea724 after: ÚÀ·™´¡Ï...<{>3

Despite the error, BT still connects to all 3 machines, it is only if I exit out of BT and re-start it, that I have to re-enter the password.

I am presently running BT v0.25, but this problem has existed since I started running BT @ v0.21.

Is it possible that the error is caused because the machine I run BoincTasks on runs XP Pro, and the laptop Vista, since I don't get this problem with the connection to the other XP machine?

Walt
When the information is written to an xml file.
What happens is the password is first encrypted next translated to xml characters like %231%123%126.
As a check I reverse the process and should get the same password again.
But something goes wrong.
I think it is some kind of special character you use in your password. I tried every character on the keyboard.
If you want to tell me by email if there is one. And what the length of the password is.

Corsair

Do you remember Fred??

that I had the same problem with a computer that always lost the password when
exited and started again, at last we did a new password for that computer, less
length of password, since such action no other error was found, and always entering
in the program without any problem.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on November 03, 2009, 11:11:42 PM
Do you remember Fred??

that I had the same problem with a computer that always lost the password when
exited and started again, at last we did a new password for that computer, less
length of password, since such action no other error was found, and always entering
in the program without any problem.
If you find a password that won't work that would be nice.

fred

I found the problem  ???. The encryption algorithm can produce zero's and zero's are used as the end of a string. ;D
Should not be a problem to solve as I now know what's going on.

fred

Walt V

I look forward to trying out version 0.27.  Once I get it up an running I'll let you know how things work.

Walt

fred

Quote from: Walt V on November 06, 2009, 01:39:49 AM
I look forward to trying out version 0.27.  Once I get it up an running I'll let you know how things work.

Walt
I hope this new version solves the problem. I could replicate it on my computer....

Walt V

Problem solved! 8)  I like the new tabs as well.

Thanks Fred!

fred

Quote from: Walt V on November 06, 2009, 03:47:42 PM
Problem solved! 8)  I like the new tabs as well.

Thanks Fred!
Pfff another problem solved. ;D Up to the next.