News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Weird crash

Started by Soulmech, June 03, 2009, 05:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulmech

Every time I open TThrottle, it crashes immediately. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, and there's no change. I also tried both the stable and the beta versions, and both of them exhibited the same behavior. I don't know what to do at this point.

fred

Ok start regedit (start->Run and type regedit ENTER) and if the program asks for  a password (in vista) login as the user that uses TThrottle.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->eFMer->TThrottle and please write down the settings.
Tell me what OS are you using 32/64 XP/Vista/Win7.
Go to the installation directory of TThrottle and start Installdriver and choose remove.
Delete the entire directory of TThrottle and  start the installation again.
Lets see what that does.

Soulmech

Ok start regedit (start->Run and type regedit ENTER) and if the program asks for  a password (in vista) login as the user that uses TThrottle.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->eFMer->TThrottle and please write down the settings.

To save me time, here's a Print Screen: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4351/regeditp.jpg

Vista 64

Go to the installation directory of TThrottle and start Installdriver and choose remove.
Delete the entire directory of TThrottle and  start the installation again

I've already uninstalled it/reinstalled it previously (including deleting the directory after uninstallation) with no success. It's currently uninstalled.

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on June 03, 2009, 11:24:16 PM

To save me time, here's a Print Screen: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4351/regeditp.jpg

Vista 64

Delete the entire directory of TThrottle and  start the installation again

I've already uninstalled it/reinstalled it previously (including deleting the directory after uninstallation) with no success. It's currently uninstalled.
Ok another thing is might be go to Configuration screen -> Programs and look for the installed program Microsoft visual C++ 2005 Redistributable.
That part is tricky because it may be used by other programs.
Remove (deinstall) Microsoft visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and install TThrottle again.
In the registry delete the complete TThrottle tree.
Tell me when does it crash ... seconds after startup. Any message?

Soulmech

Quote from: fred on June 04, 2009, 03:42:07 AM
Quote from: Soulmech on June 03, 2009, 11:24:16 PM
Ok start regedit (start->Run and type regedit ENTER) and if the program asks for  a password (in vista) login as the user that uses TThrottle.

Vista 64

Delete the entire directory of TThrottle and  start the installation again

Ok another thing is might be go to Configuration screen -> Programs and look for the installed program Microsoft visual C++ 2005 Redistributable.
That part is tricky because it may be used by other programs.
Remove (deinstall) Microsoft visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and install TThrottle again.
In the registry delete the complete TThrottle tree.
Tell me when does it crash ... seconds after startup. Any message?
It would crash in maybe 2-3 seconds after opening and give a "this program has stopped working" window.

But, that fix worked. It's running now.

EDIT: Now the program crashes every time I try to set Auto-Active, even though there's a value set for Core Temp.

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on June 04, 2009, 10:11:02 PM
EDIT: Now the program crashes every time I try to set Auto-Active, even though there's a value set for Core Temp.
Try removing the folding at home programs from the program list in the first program tab.

Soulmech

Quote from: fred on June 05, 2009, 03:57:41 AM
Quote from: Soulmech on June 04, 2009, 10:11:02 PM
Try removing the folding at home programs from the program list in the first program tab.
Tried, no change.

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on June 05, 2009, 03:59:26 AM
Tried, no change.
Is the BOINC tab visible? And if so what projects do you see.
Set the CPU and GPU  temp to 100C. Wait for the Use CPU and GPU go to 100%.
Then select active.

Soulmech

Is the BOINC tab visible? And if so what projects do you see.

aqua.dwavesys.com
boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta
boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de_boincsimap
boinc.fzk.de_poem
boinc.gorlaeus.net
boinc.umiacs.umd.edu
cbl-boinc-server2.cs.technion.ac.il_superlinkattechnion
climateprediction.net
docking.cis.udel.edu
einstein.phys.uwm.edu
genlife.is-a-geek.org_genlife
hydrogenathome.org
lhcathome.cern.ch_lhcathome
MindModeling.org_beta
qah.uni-muenster.de
ralph.bakerlab.org
registro.ibercivis.es
spin.fh-bielefeld.de
vcsc.cs.uh.edu_virtual-prairie
www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo
www.worldcommunitygrid.org

Set the CPU and GPU  temp to 100C. Wait for the Use CPU and GPU go to 100%.
Then select active.
Still crashed.

fred

A lot... ;D

Can you send me a copy of C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects ?  (Vista location).
So I can do a real time check what is causing this crash.

Soulmech

Quote from: fred on June 06, 2009, 05:10:50 AM
A lot... ;D

I know it's a lot, but I just don't feel like trimming any of them down. Plus, some computers I run BOINC on can't handle large projects, like aqua/cpdn/qmc that I would still like to run anyway.

How do you want me to send this to you? Do you want me to put it all in a large ZIP file? How will I transfer it to you>

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on June 08, 2009, 03:50:17 AM
Quote from: fred on June 06, 2009, 05:10:50 AM
A lot... ;D

I know it's a lot, but I just don't feel like trimming any of them down. Plus, some computers I run BOINC on can't handle large projects, like aqua/cpdn/qmc that I would still like to run anyway.

How do you want me to send this to you? Do you want me to put it all in a large ZIP file? How will I transfer it to you>
B#O#I#N#C#&#efmer.eu Leave out the # and & = @
A zip or rar file will work ok. And as much as you provider will allow you.

Soulmech

Quote from: fred on June 08, 2009, 03:57:34 AM
B#O#I#N#C#&#efmer.eu Leave out the # and & = @
A zip or rar file will work ok. And as much as you provider will allow you.
Gmail only allows 25 MB apparently, and that won't do for a ~550MB file. I'm going to email you a link to the file.

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on June 08, 2009, 07:15:14 AM
Gmail only allows 25 MB apparently, and that won't do for a ~550MB file. I'm going to email you a link to the file.
Got it, found the problem (a typo) and fixed it in the new release 1.60 that is now on-line.
Thanks for pointing this one out to me. ;D

Soulmech

It's working perfectly now. Thank you!