BT 0.50

Started by archae86, April 13, 2010, 11:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archae86

I was one of the folks for whom BT 0.49 crashed instantly on each launch I tried after installation.  I reverted to BT 0.46 for the last day.

Today I installed BT 0.50 by the same careless method I enjoy using when it works (not rebooting, not shutting AV and Firewall stuff, and not getting out of all applications).

Despite my carelessness, it installed and then started up just fine.  So the crash issue observed on my particular host seems to have been successfully resolved by the fix Fred mentioned in BT 0.50.

jjwhalen

BT 0.50 also fixed the startup problem at my house, reported in thread BT 0.49 8) Thanks.

Corsair

Hi Fred,

Set-up this version in my two controlling computers (x86 & x64) and both of them working correctly.

looks like that in computer windows the sorting doesn't work, I mean, I click on IP column and shows
sorting characteristic "^" but no change is shown in the screen.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on April 14, 2010, 08:58:21 AM
Hi Fred,

Set-up this version in my two controlling computers (x86 & x64) and both of them working correctly.

looks like that in computer windows the sorting doesn't work, I mean, I click on IP column and shows
The computer window is missing a lot of things. Like sorting and colors... still a work in progress.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on April 14, 2010, 06:44:17 PM
Quote from: Corsair on April 14, 2010, 08:58:21 AM
Hi Fred,

The computer window is missing a lot of things. Like sorting and colors... still a work in progress.

but looks like very promising. ;)

Corsair.

glennaxl

Switching from "all computers" to specific computer is fast now; You would only notice the improvement if you have clients connected through Internet(WAN). Tested it on peak hours and off-peak. Good Job!

In notification icon tooltip, what is the max length? I have a computer named with 11 chars and it shows the number of task running but with 13 chars it doesn't show but instead truncate it to 12 (and doesn't show "running: NN")
eg.
normal view:
computer12345, Running: 12
to:
computer1234

This is just some fancy item, nothing major. I think it would be best if you drop the whole line off cause the info given is not useful anyways. Or something new like this:
Total Running: NN
Non-Running: pc1=2, pc2=1, pc3=5

Non-running is the number of cores/threads that go idle for each computer.

Corsair

Hi Fred,

I don't know where the weird problem is?? in BOINC or BoincTasks??

BOINC client last official 6.10.43 (both x86 & x64) , in the row:

"While processor usage is less than [ X ] percent (0 means no restriction)"

OK, I set it to always "0", if something is done in BOINC or BoincTasks I don't
know why is found to the default value "25" and found that BOINC is throttling
my computers, when I don´t want that this would be done by BOINC, because
most of the time the applications are stopped because of high usage of CPU/GPU,
reported by BOINC manager.
>:(
I know that this feature is not yet implemented if BT, but from BOINC manager is
a weird fix really.

Corsair.

glennaxl

Quote from: Corsair on April 15, 2010, 10:13:15 AM
Hi Fred,

I don't know where the weird problem is?? in BOINC or BoincTasks??

BOINC client last official 6.10.43 (both x86 & x64) , in the row:

"While processor usage is less than [ X ] percent (0 means no restriction)"

OK, I set it to always "0", if something is done in BOINC or BoincTasks I don't
know why is found to the default value "25" and found that BOINC is throttling
my computers, when I don´t want that this would be done by BOINC, because
most of the time the applications are stopped because of high usage of CPU/GPU,
reported by BOINC manager.
>:(
I know that this feature is not yet implemented if BT, but from BOINC manager is
a weird fix really.
The problem lies with BT. If you set 0 in BOINC manager then later on update it with BT, things get screwed up. BT removes the line "<suspend_cpu_usage>0.000000</suspend_cpu_usage>".

In Fred's Task list: "BOINC Settings: Try to write back only changed items" should remove any future issues if BOINC manager has new item while BT hasn't been updated yet with that item.

glennaxl

Another issue which has been on and off with other versions is Projects tab item selection. Shift+click doesn't work. To select consecutive items, I have to use ctrl+click.

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on April 15, 2010, 12:50:42 PM
Another issue which has been on and off with other versions is Projects tab item selection. Shift+click doesn't work. To select consecutive items, I have to use ctrl+click.
Should work, select the first item, press shift and select the last.

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on April 15, 2010, 02:29:05 AM
Switching from "all computers" to specific computer is fast now; You would only notice the improvement if you have clients connected through Internet(WAN). Tested it on peak hours and off-peak. Good Job!

In notification icon tooltip, what is the max length? I have a computer named with 11 chars and it shows the number of task running but with 13 chars it doesn't show but instead truncate it to 12 (and doesn't show "running: NN")
eg.
normal view:
computer12345, Running: 12
to:
computer1234

This is just some fancy item, nothing major. I think it would be best if you drop the whole line off cause the info given is not useful anyways. Or something new like this:
Total Running: NN
Non-Running: pc1=2, pc2=1, pc3=5

Non-running is the number of cores/threads that go idle for each computer.
The toolbar is limited to 128 chars so there is room.
I will change things to:
Toolbar Icon: Only show computer name, when one computer is active. Like testcomputer next line Running: 8
Check why the computer name is limited to 12 characters.
If the number of computers is > 1 show the number of computers only. Like Computers 3 next line Running: 16.

glennaxl

Quote from: fred on April 15, 2010, 11:33:58 PM
Yup it works but only a few hours from the time you start the application which is odd.
Started: 15 April 2010 - 23:33:58
Now: 16 April 2010 - 15:32:56

After sometime it loses that ability. Might be a bug?

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on April 16, 2010, 07:35:28 PM
Yup it works but only a few hours from the time you start the application which is odd.

I made a note in the bug list.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on April 16, 2010, 11:57:27 PM
Quote from: glennaxl on April 16, 2010, 07:35:28 PM

I made a note in the bug list.

Fred,
I'm not seeing this behavior (loss of block select [shift-click] function on the Projects tab) in BT 0.50.  Which is to say, I can still block select projects as I write this, after >30 hours of continuous up time.

This issue may be platform-specific, or it may be related to the bug I reported a few weeks ago:
Quote(BUG) On the Projects tab, after a change in the project list (e.g., detaching a project), block select using the Shift key won't work until BT is shut down & restarted.  (Extended select using the Ctrl key still works though.).
Just a thought.

B/w

Corsair

Quote(Fixed) Computer view: Computer menu: Detect, Add, Remove, where not translatable.  (done V 51 )

and in Show-Tabs - missing translation of "Computers"

Corsair.