Sending Work Safely between 2 computers Running Bionic

Started by td109702, May 01, 2010, 06:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

td109702

Dear Sirs:

I was wanting to know if there could be an addition to your program or to Bionic in general that would safely move work between computers over a local network.  I have a computer that downloaded too much work and will possibly loose possible credits when compiled after the deadline.  I would love to send the projects to my other computer that is low on work and has its deadlines many months from now. 

I want to send part of this project material to my other computer on the local intranet and let it compile it and produce the results before the deadline occurs.  I heard that you can do it manually using a USB Flash drive and deleting files before moving from the drive, but there are so many ways for it to go wrong from looking on other help sites. 

Are the programmers thinking along this line for a version in the future or will I have to keep this on the wish list for now on?

Thanks......

efmer

Quote from: td109702 on May 01, 2010, 06:32:06 PM
Dear Sirs:

I was wanting to know if there could be an addition to your program or to Bionic in general that would safely move work between computers over a local network.  I have a computer that downloaded too much work and will possibly loose possible credits when compiled after the deadline.  I would love to send the projects to my other computer that is low on work and has its deadlines many months from now. 

I want to send part of this project material to my other computer on the local intranet and let it compile it and produce the results before the deadline occurs.  I heard that you can do it manually using a USB Flash drive and deleting files before moving from the drive, but there are so many ways for it to go wrong from looking on other help sites. 

Are the programmers thinking along this line for a version in the future or will I have to keep this on the wish list for now on?

Thanks......
As far as I know BOINC, this isn't allowed. You can't move parts of your work from one computer to another. This causes a lot of cheating problems....
BOINC will not allow this, as this info is stored on the other side, there is no way around.
You should be able to copy all your work from one computer to another by simply copying the entire folder. But that's a risk as well, you may loose all your work.