Programs tab, "matching Gpu: programs (processes)" list

Started by Pepo, May 14, 2010, 01:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

On the Programs tab, TTh lists "matching programs (processes)" and sorts them into Cpu: and Gpu: categories. According to what key? Observed CPU usage?

Because neither of the following apps is a GPGPU app (as you possibly know), just a (little-)CPU(-consumption) applications or wrappers (observing now on TTh 1.76):
Gpu: data_collect_1.25_windows_intelx86__nci.exe, PID: 12696, Thready: 3
Gpu: famous_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 13920, Thready: 3
Gpu: famous_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 8992, Thready: 3
Gpu: qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci.exe, PID: 13404, Thready: 6   (added later)
Gpu: hadsm3_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 7372, Thready: 3
Gpu: hadsm3_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 7004, Thready: 3

I was little surprised not to see the QCN app here, some week ago (observed on TTh 1.74) was showing also:
Gpu: qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci.exe, PID: 4504, Threads: 4

I can see it is marked by two $$ signs in the BOINC tab, as
  qcn.stanford.edu_sensor = $$#qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci
apparently because of two matching exclude rules (qcn_ + __nci). After removing one of them, one $ sign disappeared and "Gpu: qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci.exe" appeared in the list.
Weird.....  ???

All false positives.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on May 14, 2010, 01:21:59 PM
On the Programs tab, TTh lists "matching programs (processes)" and sorts them into Cpu: and Gpu: categories. According to what key? Observed CPU usage?

Because neither of the following apps is a GPGPU app (as you possibly know), just a (little-)CPU(-consumption) applications or wrappers (observing now on TTh 1.76):
Gpu: data_collect_1.25_windows_intelx86__nci.exe, PID: 12696, Thready: 3
Gpu: famous_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 13920, Thready: 3
Gpu: famous_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 8992, Thready: 3
Gpu: qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci.exe, PID: 13404, Thready: 6   (added later)
Gpu: hadsm3_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 7372, Thready: 3
Gpu: hadsm3_6.07_windows_intelx86.exe, PID: 7004, Thready: 3

I was little surprised not to see the QCN app here, some week ago (observed on TTh 1.74) was showing also:
Gpu: qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci.exe, PID: 4504, Threads: 4

I can see it is marked by two $$ signs in the BOINC tab, as
  qcn.stanford.edu_sensor = $$#qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci
apparently because of two matching exclude rules (qcn_ + __nci). After removing one of them, one $ sign disappeared and "Gpu: qcn_5.62_windows_intelx86__nci.exe" appeared in the list.
Weird.....  ???

All false positives.
There is no sorting done, this comes strait out of the OS process list.
Any running program, that's also in the BOINC list will be included.

The $$ indicated a double and is simply removed to avoid throttling an exe twice. Maybe it's a problem to have rule that matches twice. So make name a bit longer and more specific.
What I see rule is one adds a $, rule 2 does the same, making it $$ and $$ is exclude, meaning you don't get anything. Not quite elegant....

Pepo

Quote from: fred on May 14, 2010, 02:19:11 PM
The $$ indicated a double and is simply removed to avoid throttling an exe twice. Maybe it's a problem to have rule that matches twice. So make name a bit longer and more specific.
What I see rule is one adds a $, rule 2 does the same, making it $$ and $$ is exclude, meaning you don't get anything. Not quite elegant....
Aah, so there is indeed some exclude available? I was thinking of how to specify that "$##setiathome_6.09_windows_intelx86__cuda23", although being marked as non-CPU-intensive CUDA task and excluded from throttling, is actually sometimes pretty CPU-hungry and should indeed be included in throttling... I can try this later after a reboot. It is not possible now, something swallowed a half of my GPU memory and I can not realize what, no GPU app is willing to start :(

Maybe the exclusion of apps currently consuming less than some percentage of a CPU core would solve this more elegantly... but what about a loaded system, when even a 1 CPU app does consume under the threshold? Would it them be excluded too?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on May 14, 2010, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: fred on May 14, 2010, 02:19:11 PM
Aah, so there is indeed some exclude available? I was thinking of how to specify that "$##setiathome_6.09_windows_intelx86__cuda23", although being marked as non-CPU-intensive CUDA task and excluded from throttling, is actually sometimes pretty CPU-hungry and should indeed be included in throttling... I can try this later after a reboot. It is not possible now, something swallowed a half of my GPU memory and I can not realize what, no GPU app is willing to start :(

Maybe the exclusion of apps currently consuming less than some percentage of a CPU core would solve this more elegantly... but what about a loaded system, when even a 1 CPU app does consume under the threshold? Would it them be excluded too?
In Win 7 some GPU drivers are still a bit buggy.

The exclude moves tasks from CPU to GPU.
At the moment all running BOINC programs are throttled regardless of the run %.
Only the general throttle, that when set, kicks in whenever the normal throttle can't keep the temperature controlled. E.g. normal 70C general 76C.
That last one adds all programs that run above the 4% threshold.
You can see all running processes that TThrottle can detect in the rules tab -> running processes.