BT 0.58

Started by Pepo, May 28, 2010, 11:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

I have 2 computers defined (localhost+extern). While starting, BT was trying to connect to them, Computers/Status for the extern one was showing "Not connected, Connected". After a while (and possibly a couple of unsuccessful connection retries - the host is in a different network) the text changed to "Not connected" AND "1.80" appeared in its TThrottle column!
Note that the machine does not run TTh and is not reachable at all (switched off and in a different city part), so it was a very very wild guess by BT ;D
I guess the connection status should be something like "Not connected, Connecting..."?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on May 28, 2010, 11:08:11 AM
I have 2 computers defined (localhost+extern). While starting, BT was trying to connect to them, Computers/Status for the extern one was showing "Not connected, ". After a while (and possibly a couple of unsuccessful connection retries - the host is in a different network) the text changed to "Not connected" AND "1.80" appeared in its TThrottle column!
Note that the machine does not run TTh and is not reachable at all (switched off and in a different city part), so it was a very very wild guess by BT ;D
I guess the connection status should be something like "Not connected, Connecting..."?
If the status is the same only one should appear.

Status,
Connected,
Not connected,
Connected, Not connected,
Not connected, Connected,

Are the options.

Noted a possible bug: Computers: Shows TThrottle version number even as the remote computer is not connected/has TThrottle installed.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on May 28, 2010, 11:46:17 AM
[...]While starting, BT was trying to connect to them, Computers/Status for the extern one was showing "Not connected, ".
You've stolen "Not connected, Connected" from my quote :o (copy/paste with care ;))

QuoteI guess the connection status should be something like "Not connected, Connecting..."?

Status,  <--
Connected,
Not connected,
Connected, Not connected,  <--
Not connected, Connected,  <--

Are the options.
Not that I understand this ??? especially the first one (typo? I guess just 4 options are available, Status is the column name) and the latter two...
What do you mean with "If the status is the same"?
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on May 28, 2010, 12:05:47 PM
Quote from: fred on May 28, 2010, 11:46:17 AM
[...]While starting, BT was trying to connect to them, Computers/Status for the extern one was showing "Not connected, ".
You've stolen "Not connected, Connected" from my quote :o (copy/paste with care ;))

QuoteI guess the connection status should be something like "Not connected, Connecting..."?

Connected,
Not connected,
Connected, Not connected,  <--
Not connected, Connected,  <--

Are the options.
Not that I understand this ??? especially the first one (typo? I guess just 4 options are available, Status is the column name) and the latter two...
What do you mean with "If the status is the same"?
Connected, Connected and Not connected, Not connected are shown only once.

fred

I have 2 computers defined (localhost+extern). While starting, BT was trying to connect to them, Computers/Status for the extern one was showing "Not connected, Connected". After a while (and possibly a couple of unsuccessful connection retries - the host is in a different network) the text changed to "Not connected" AND "1.80" appeared in its TThrottle column!
I found the problem, that part was unnecessary complicated.

jjwhalen

I probably just never noticed this before :-[  When BT starts up, it apparently sends a "reread preference override file" to all attached clients.  Is this by design?  Certainly a good idea when you're starting/restarting a client, but is it necessary to send this to 1...n clients that are already running ???  I don't immediately see a down side, but what's the up side?  Just a thought.

P.S. Thanks for the project filter in Messages 8)  I haven't tested it yet for all projects I'm attached to, but I will.  If you don't hear anything more, please assume the filter works OK, at least at my house.

Pepo

Quote from: jjwhalen on May 28, 2010, 05:57:52 PM
If you don't hear anything more, please assume the filter works OK, at least at my house.
This morning I was thinking of telling something similar: if I do not complain, possibly everything is working satisfactory or perfect :D (sorry for not saying so explicitely).
Except when I've no spare time to complain, or am looking for the suitable words ;D
Peter

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on May 28, 2010, 05:57:52 PM
I probably just never noticed this before :-[  When BT starts up, it apparently sends a "reread preference override file" to all attached clients.  Is this by design?  Certainly a good idea when you're starting/restarting a client, but is it necessary to send this to 1...n clients that are already running ???  I don't immediately see a down side, but what's the up side?  Just a thought.

P.S. Thanks for the project filter in Messages 8)  I haven't tested it yet for all projects I'm attached to, but I will.  If you don't hear anything more, please assume the filter works OK, at least at my house.
In the computers tab the field Days work and Wanted tasks.
e.g. when you set Days work = 10 and Wanted tasks = 1000.
When at startup the tasks are < 1000 on that computer, days are set to 10 and that means setting the preferences.

The log will show: 29 mei 2010 - 11:12:48 Regulator, set work buffer ---- Host: localhost,This, WU now: 790, WU needed: 1000, Set days: 10

The check if ever 2 hours or so, when above 1000 the buffer is set to 1 day.

But only use this on a a computer that is running and will keep on running at the time the remote hosts are running.
I only use this on the localhost myself, with a copy of BT running on several localhosts.

So disabling this feature means clearing the 2 columns.

jjwhalen

Old problem :'( I just got a couple of entries in History with no Elapsed Time--I haven't seen that one in awhile.  One task ran only a few minutes, but the other was several hours long.  Both were on the same host.  The client had the <report results immediately> switch set (in case that makes a difference).

Corsair

Quote from: jjwhalen on May 30, 2010, 03:58:22 PM
Old problem :'( I just got a couple of entries in History with no Elapsed Time--I haven't seen that one in awhile.  One task ran only a few minutes, but the other was several hours long.  Both were on the same host.  The client had the <report results immediately> switch set (in case that makes a difference).

same for me, but I have a lot of WU without elapsed time, not the same host,
not the same project, different hosts and across of some project that I'm running
e.g. Ibercivies, Milkyway, Enigma@Home, SETI@Home too.
:'( :'(
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Hmm I have a pretty long log with close to 1000 entries.
The only thing that could cause this is that the following sequence.
Upload -> Ready to report -> Gone
Is less than 10 seconds = the history interval timer.
If that happens the task is simply gone before it can be detected.
And report results immediately makes this more likely.

I could make the history interval shorter.... but that means a lot more overhead.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on May 30, 2010, 06:21:36 PM

same for me, but I have a lot of WU without elapsed time, not the same host,
not the same project, different hosts and across of some project that I'm running
e.g. Ibercivies, Milkyway, Enigma@Home, SETI@Home too.
:'( :'(
One of the other problems is that the BOINC client doesn't have a special communication thread.
That means if it's busy with something else it's simply not responding at all.
E.g. when Seti is down (often) the client sometimes freezes, probably until there is a communication timeout. And than the client responds again.
But I will try to figure out why there is no time at all, because there should be a time from the running state.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on May 30, 2010, 06:38:19 PM
Old problem :'( I just got a couple of entries in History with no Elapsed Time--I haven't seen that one in awhile.  One task ran only a few minutes, but the other was several hours long.  Both were on the same host.  The client had the <report results immediately> switch set (in case that makes a difference).
Hmm I have a pretty long log with close to 1000 entries.
The only thing that could cause this is that the following sequence.
Upload -> Ready to report -> Gone
Is less than 10 seconds = the history interval timer.
If that happens the task is simply gone before it can be detected.
And report results immediately makes this more likely.

I could make the history interval shorter.... but that means a lot more overhead.

This makes sense, which is why I mentioned the switch being set 8)  (I set this config option when I go to bed in order to meet the cutoff for BOINCstats' daily stats update, which happens in the wee hours of my morning, California time).

The only issue I have with this explanation is that I'd expect to see all, or nearly all tasks reported under <report results immediately> with no Elapsed Time, and that's just not the case--it's maybe 1:25 ???  Obviously Corsair has a much bigger problem with this than I do, for who knows what different set of variables.

jjwhalen

Cosmetic change:

Now that
Quote- Changed: Menu: Extra->update all projects: Only updates projects that have work to report.
has been implemented, you might want to rename the menu item to something more appropriate like "Extra>Report all completed tasks" ;)

jjwhalen

In History, Einstein@home tasks of the 3.02 Global Correlations S5 search #1 (S5GCESSE2) subproject are listed with the "Reported GPU" color even though this is a CPU executable :o  I'm guessing this means there's something screwed up in the XML from the client?

EDIT -- Forgot to mention: they are NOT shown with GPU colors on the Tasks tab.