News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

General questions

Started by jjwhalen, August 02, 2010, 12:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

2 (more or less) unrelated questions:

1. What do you prefer as a viewer/editor for XML, and whence did you get it?  (I'm looking for something that's more sophisticated than a general text editor [Notepad/Wordpad], but won't choke on the inevitable syntax errors in BOINC-related XML output, as MS Word or MS XML Editor always do.)

2. For a given "Connect about every x.xx days" setting in Preferences, does the core client output time remaining to the next connection attempt (in client_state or wherever)?  You can probably see where this question is going ;D

I guess technically that's 3 questions, so sue me :D

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 02, 2010, 12:30:24 AM
2 (more or less) unrelated questions:

1. What do you prefer as a viewer/editor for XML, and whence did you get it?  (I'm looking for something that's more sophisticated than a general text editor [Notepad/Wordpad], but won't choke on the inevitable syntax errors in BOINC-related XML output, as MS Word or MS XML Editor always do.)

2. For a given "Connect about every x.xx days" setting in Preferences, does the core client output time remaining to the next connection attempt (in client_state or wherever)?  You can probably see where this question is going ;D

I guess technically that's 3 questions, so sue me :D
1. As BOINC xml is xml sort of, but not according to normal rules. Any xml editor will have problems with it.
2. As everything is in the client_state, but the time will probably an absolute time, the next connection time. And the time will be a long number, not easily read by non machines.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 02, 2010, 08:43:33 AM

2. As everything is in the client_state, but the time will probably an absolute time, the next connection time. And the time will be a long number, not easily read by non machines.

I wasn't worrying about it being human-readable.  I was thinking in terms of: could you display the time of next connection attempt for Host XYZ (maybe similar to the last benchmark time you added to Extra>Run CPU benchmarks>... a few revisions ago)?  I think either an absolute time or time remaining would be helpful, as long as you translate it into a human time-scale.

This is one of those things that starts out as a question and maybe migrates to the wishlist.  If possible, this should obviously go in the Low Priority section ;D

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 02, 2010, 01:22:53 PM

I wasn't worrying about it being human-readable.  I was thinking in terms of: could you display the time of next connection attempt for Host XYZ (maybe similar to the last benchmark time you added to Extra>Run CPU benchmarks>... a few revisions ago)?  I think either an absolute time or time remaining would be helpful, as long as you translate it into a human time-scale.

This is one of those things that starts out as a question and maybe migrates to the wishlist.  If possible, this should obviously go in the Low Priority section ;D
I'm not sure if there is any fixed time that can be read anywhere.
Not come across anything like it.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 02, 2010, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: jjwhalen on August 02, 2010, 01:22:53 PM

I'm not sure if there is any fixed time that can be read anywhere.
Not come across anything like it.

Obviously the client keeps an interval timer running - just a matter of whether it publishes the state of the timer or not.  No big deal, it was just a thought.