Is there a plan to take TThrotle to a "universal" application?

Started by Agencyman, October 10, 2010, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agencyman

I don't know why I'm so fortunate, but TThrottle works perfectly for me.  I was told by XFX that 105-110Cwas the shutdown range for my GPU, and 94C would not likely cause damage.  Nice words, but I am now happily seeing the temps controlled at 85C.

Will this work across the board on any other, or all computing jobs?

I don't do code at your level so I do not understand how it works withinin BOINC, but for overclockers like me, this could be an equipment saver; -for gamers and just those who enjoy pushing the envelope. 

I only had temp problems when running the BOINC projects that lean on the GPU, then it would be in the mid 90C range.  I don't actually own any games, but I bought the 3DMark06 to check things with occasionally, and it seems games can heat things up too.

CPU cores never hit 60C anymore, but who knows, I could soon get a HiPerf unlocked chip, and a motherboard with the controls to do it, then I might need the throttling there too.

Bruce

P43-C51 MSI motherboard
E-5300 2600MHz Core Duo always running @ 3497Mhz
This XFX Radeon 4870 1 Gb stock cooling, not good enough
Crucial DDR3 1066 @ 1075, Timings 6, 6, 6, 15, 25, 2T
C.M 310 case f/r 120mm fans
C.M. 212+ with f/r 120 fans
Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU

fred

Quote from: Agencyman on October 10, 2010, 05:22:38 PM
Will this work across the board on any other, or all computing jobs?
Normally not.
But, when you check Expert in the first tab other programs can be added to the throttle list.
There is an emergency throttle also. In the rules tab you can set e.g. if GPU > 90 C than throtle.
This means all programs will be throttled when the GPU goes beyond 90C.
This is for emergencies only, not for general throttling, as it is quite time consuming.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 12, 2010, 06:35:57 AM
There is an emergency throttle also. In the rules tab you can set e.g. if GPU > 90 C than throtle.
This means all programs will be throttled when the GPU goes beyond 90C.
This is for emergencies only, not for general throttling, as it is quite time consuming.
One idea to the emergency general throttling: in such mode, TTh has to obtain a list of all running processes in regular interval, in order to throttle them. If it could obtain the used CPU time of these processes... At the next interval, get the list with CPU times again.

Then it could be possible to select just a subgroup of processes, which are either new since the previous interval, or which each CPU usage was > 5%, or just those all processes, which CPU usage sum up to say 95% of the whole used CPU time during the interval.

I know that such subgroup is often just a small fraction of all processes, running in the system. It would for sure take much less resources to throttle it. It depends just on how expensive is to additionally obtain the processes' CPU usage.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 12, 2010, 07:07:29 AM
One idea to the emergency general throttling: in such mode, TTh has to obtain a list of all running processes in regular interval, in order to throttle them. If it could obtain the used CPU time of these processes... At the next interval, get the list with CPU times again.

Then it could be possible to select just a subgroup of processes, which are either new since the previous interval, or which each CPU usage was > 5%, or just those all processes, which CPU usage sum up to say 95% of the whole used CPU time during the interval.

I know that such subgroup is often just a small fraction of all processes, running in the system. It would for sure take much less resources to throttle it. It depends just on how expensive is to additionally obtain the processes' CPU usage.
Of course TThrottle is already that smart, for some time. ;D
http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=389.0

Otherwise the general TThrottle overhead, could heat up the CPU more than less.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 12, 2010, 07:28:02 AM
Quote from: Pepo on October 12, 2010, 07:07:29 AM
One idea to the emergency general throttling: [...] select just a subgroup of processes, which are either new since the previous interval, or which each CPU usage was > 5%, or just those all processes, which CPU usage sum up to say 95% of the whole used CPU time during the interval...
Of course TThrottle is already that smart, for some time. ;D
http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=389.0
:-[ I see I can't say "I've missed that", so just an apology "sorry I forgot" :-X
Peter