BT 0.89

Started by Beyond, November 22, 2010, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beyond

Installed 0.89.  BIG problems.  It crashes and restarts every 4 minutes or less (the longest it would run between dump-files was 4 minutes).  Every 6 second update period various computers' projects and tasks disappear and reappear.  Had no crashes at all with the last few previous versions.  Tried to go back to 0.88 and this happened:

Open file:D:\Apps\BoincTasks\lang\BoincTasks_ENU.btlang
Group: <GroupViewTasks> string header in pos 64, <StatusAbortedByUser> not found
Group: <GroupBarViewSelect> string header in pos 125, <Notices> not found
Group: <GroupMenuMain> string header in pos 168, <ShowNotices> not found
Group: <GroupMenuMain> string header in pos 169, <ShowNoticesS> not found
Group: <GroupWindowStatusMessage> string header in pos 731, <Notices> not found

Deleted the language folder and reinstalled 0.88, still wouldn't run.  Had to delete just about everything to get back to 0.88.  The ability to get back to a previous version simply by reinstalling would be a good idea.

On a lesser note the huge numbers in field 3 have now moved to projects that have WUs and are correct in projects without WUs, so the situation reversed itself.  The nci projects now seem correct although FreeHAL is down so won't be totally sure until it resurrects itself, maybe 3 days or so  ;)

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 22, 2010, 05:00:21 PM
No 0.89 thread yet...

Installed 0.89.  BIG problems.  It crashes and restarts every 4 minutes or less (the longest it would run between dump-files was 4 minutes).  Every 6 second update period various computers' projects and tasks disappear and reappear.  Had no crashes at all with the last few previous versions.  Tried to go back to 0.88 and this happened:
This version is tested with V 6.12.6 Alpha. So there may be some backwards compatibility problems. A crash report would be nice.
Best to remove the installation in the configuration screen. Next time remove the exe.
The huge numbers are still there in 0.89 and gone in 0.90.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on November 22, 2010, 05:18:48 PM
Quote from: Beyond on November 22, 2010, 05:00:21 PM
No 0.89 thread yet...

This version is tested with V 6.12.6 Alpha. So there may be some backwards compatibility problems. A crash report would be nice.
Best to remove the installation in the configuration screen. Next time remove the exe.
The huge numbers are still there in 0.89 and gone in 0.90.
I've been using BOINC 6.12.6 on all my machines since it was released as it solves some serious GPU issues.

Crash report, do you want me to send a .dmp file?

Looking in the Windows error logs there's nothing for BT but did find this repeatedly:

"Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\eFMer\tthrottle\Stress64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 22, 2010, 06:06:17 PM
I've been using BOINC 6.12.6 on all my machines since it was released as it solves some serious GPU issues.

Crash report, do you want me to send a .dmp file?

Looking in the Windows error logs there's nothing for BT but did find this repeatedly:

"Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\eFMer\tthrottle\Stress64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

yep *.dmp looking like this: BoincTasks_089_20-11-2010_20-06 in C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\crash
Any other dmp file must of course be of BT.

The other error is definitely not BT related.

Beyond

The zipped .dmp file should be at the ftp site.  Took me a while to figure out that my regular ftp client wouldn't work.

Corsair

Win 7 x64
BOINC 6.12.6 windows x64
BT 0.89 x64

some messages in Message tab as follows:

SETI@home    | 22-11-2010 20:28 | _("Message from") SETI@home: Project has no tasks available

and same message in the Event Log windows of BM
22/11/2010 20:28:43 | SETI@home | Message from SETI@home: Project has no tasks available

as could seen no extra _("Message from") shown, and not needed.

is this a problem of BM or BT?? ???

BTW I've had at least 4 crashed as Beyond says in a period of time very short, I've notice it because there was about 4 icons of BT in place, as soon as mouse over them all then disappear except the active one.

the .dmp files are huge of 150 mb and 30 mb zipped.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

Beyond

Quote from: Corsair on November 22, 2010, 08:23:08 PM
BTW I've had at least 4 crashed as Beyond says in a period of time very short, I've notice it because there was about 4 icons of BT in place, as soon as mouse over them all then disappear except the active one.
How many .dmp files from v0.89 are in your crash directory?

jjwhalen

I'm running BOINC 6.12.6α on all hosts.

I haven't seen any BT crashes with v0.89 as reported by Beyond & Corsair.  Instead BT is repeatedly dropping/reconnecting one of my remote hosts every few seconds, while remaining connected to localhost & the other remote.  Restarting BT & rebooting localhost had no effect.  No crashes, so no .dmp files.  No unusual activity seen in the BT log in debug mode.

Unlike v0.88, the random number in the Projects tab's Tasks field is now appearing in (most but not all) cells where the task count is nonzero.

I'll be reverting to v0.88β.

Corsair

Quote from: Beyond on November 22, 2010, 09:11:25 PM

at this moment in x64 machine four.

in the x32 only two but some crashes without any sign.

as jjwhalen says a lot of disconnections from random clients but specially with my nettop with dynamic IP (no problem known and properly setup in BT) very erratic connections more in x32 machine.

and with laptop (x32) too from x64 BT ??

and seldom from the other computers, but I've seen at least once disappear from the BT list (both x32 & x64, although looks like more stable connections the x64 version)

Corsair.

Corsair

Quote from: Beyond on November 22, 2010, 09:11:25 PM

as previously stated 4 .dmp files and very curious 1 hour exactly elapsed one each other.  :o  ???

Corsair.

fred

some messages in Message tab as follows:

SETI@home    | 22-11-2010 20:28 | _("Message from") SETI@home: Project has no tasks available

and same message in the Event Log windows of BM
22/11/2010 20:28:43 | SETI@home | Message from SETI@home: Project has no tasks available

as could seen no extra _("Message from") shown, and not needed.

is this a problem of BM or BT?? ???

I enabled the translatable text. _( is text that could be translated.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on November 22, 2010, 07:32:07 PM
The zipped .dmp file should be at the ftp site.  Took me a while to figure out that my regular ftp client wouldn't work.

Ok that explained everything, part of the BOINC code I use from the new Alpha is inherently unsafe.
A function returns a NULL pointer and uses that pointer to do something else.
Always a nice way to crash a program.

I contacted David from BOINC to so how we can solve this.

"http://boinc.gorlaeus.net/" is what caused the problem.

fred

Win 7 x64
BOINC 6.12.6 windows x64
BT 0.89 x64

I send you upload instructions.

fred

Quote from: fred on November 23, 2010, 10:18:31 AM
Win 7 x64
BOINC 6.12.6 windows x64
BT 0.89 x64

I send you upload instructions.
Ok on of them was ok the rest was corrupted.
But the good new is the crash, was at exactly the same location as with Beyond.
So we are investigating.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on November 23, 2010, 11:46:04 AM
Ok on of them was ok the rest was corrupted.
But the good new is the crash, was at exactly the same location as with Beyond.
So we are investigating.

the server is giving me an error of quota exceeded, so until some files were erased couldn't send anymore.

Corsair.