BT 0.97

Started by Pepo, January 14, 2011, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

The Tasks and Stats graphs use the predefined 20 colors. If there is a larger number of projects, then all over the 20th share the last color.

Could please the colors be used again from beginning, starting with the 21st and 41st project etc.?
Peter

jjwhalen

Quote from: Pepo on January 14, 2011, 04:34:14 PM
The Tasks and Stats graphs use the predefined 20 colors. If there is a larger number of projects, then all over the 20th share the last color.

Could please the colors be used again from beginning, starting with the 21st and 41st project etc.?

Not to introduce too much complexity ::) but does the graphing toolkit allow for things like broken lines or maybe alternating strips of color for higher "blocks" of projects beyond 20?

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on January 14, 2011, 07:03:53 PM
Quote from: Pepo on January 14, 2011, 04:34:14 PM

Not to introduce too much complexity ::) but does the graphing toolkit allow for things like broken lines or maybe alternating strips of color for higher "blocks" of projects beyond 20?
Toolkit, I'm not using any toolkits, but I still can draw a different line ;D.
Is on the list, with the repeating of colors.

Pepo

The stdoutdae.txt contains messages 14-Jan-2011 14:04:16 [Enigma@Home] Enigma 0.76b is not available for Microsoft Windows running on an AMD x86_64 or Intel EM64T CPU.
15-Jan-2011 20:06:05 [SETI@home] No work available for the applications you have selected.  Please check your project preferences on the web site.

BOINC Manager's Messages dialog displays similar (but "enhanced") red messages 14.01.2011 14:04:16 | Enigma@Home | Message from server: Enigma 0.76b is not available for Microsoft Windows running on an AMD x86_64 or Intel EM64T CPU.
15.01.2011 20:06:05 | SETI@home | Message from server: No work available for the applications you have selected.  Please check your project preferences on the web site.

BOINC Manager's Notices tab displays corresponding notices with headlines "SETI@home/Enigma@Home: Notice from server". [edit]BT displays the same notices as translated (because of the existing matching translation strings in the .btlang's translation part), but BT is completely missing the projects' headlines - just a thick empty line appear there.[/edit]

The .btlang's translation part contains just similar "Message from server" (which was initially marked as translatable in BT's Messages and is correctly translated afterwards in the Messages). So, either the BOINC Manager is guessing and generating the missing headline (with "Notice"), or BT is loosing an existing headline.
Any clue how is it actually?

The "Include general messages" tag is missing in .btlang files.
Peter

John McLeod VII

I am getting the following error on Windows 7 64 bit.

Fatal error in language file:  C:\Program files\eFMer\BOINCTasks\lang\BOINCTasks_ENU.btlang
Look in c:\Program Files\eFMerBOINCTasks\lang\BOINCTasks_ENU_error.txt for more details.

The referenced file does not exist.

fred

Quote from: John McLeod VII on January 17, 2011, 05:24:51 PM
I am getting the following error on Windows 7 64 bit.

Fatal error in language file:  C:\Program files\eFMer\BOINCTasks\lang\BOINCTasks_ENU.btlang
Look in c:\Program Files\eFMerBOINCTasks\lang\BOINCTasks_ENU_error.txt for more details.

The referenced file does not exist.
A simple fix is delete the C:\Program files\eFMer\BOINCTasks\lang\BOINCTasks_ENU.btlang and run the installer again.
The error file can't be stored in teh program folder. So you have to run BT as administrator once.
Or copy the BT folder to a temp folder and run BT from there.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 17, 2011, 02:00:20 PM
The stdoutdae.txt contains messages 14-Jan-2011 14:04:16 [Enigma@Home] Enigma 0.76b is not available for Microsoft Windows running on an AMD x86_64 or Intel EM64T CPU.
15-Jan-2011 20:06:05 [SETI@home] No work available for the applications you have selected.  Please check your project preferences on the web site.

BOINC Manager's Messages dialog displays similar (but "enhanced") red messages 14.01.2011 14:04:16 | Enigma@Home | Message from server: Enigma 0.76b is not available for Microsoft Windows running on an AMD x86_64 or Intel EM64T CPU.
15.01.2011 20:06:05 | SETI@home | Message from server: No work available for the applications you have selected.  Please check your project preferences on the web site.

BOINC Manager's Notices tab displays corresponding notices with headlines "SETI@home/Enigma@Home: Notice from server". [edit]BT displays the same notices as translated (because of the existing matching translation strings in the .btlang's translation part), but BT is completely missing the projects' headlines - just a thick empty line appear there.[/edit]

The .btlang's translation part contains just similar "Message from server" (which was initially marked as translatable in BT's Messages and is correctly translated afterwards in the Messages). So, either the BOINC Manager is guessing and generating the missing headline (with "Notice"), or BT is loosing an existing headline.
Any clue how is it actually?

The "Include general messages" tag is missing in .btlang files.
The latest version probably has an additional flag, for the received from. In the todo list.
You can check if there is something wrong with the translation by removing the check at window -> "translate BOINC text". That way the translation text is disregarded, as in English.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 17, 2011, 06:20:01 PM
You can check if there is something wrong with the translation by removing the check at window -> "translate BOINC text". That way the translation text is disregarded, as in English.
Yes. After unchecking it, the two lines got immediately untranslated (:D) back to English.
Nevertheless, they still missed their headline in Notices, so it was really not influenced by some translation mismatch.

(Forgot to note, my client is now 6.12.10).
Peter

Beyond

Switched to 0.97 when it came out and since then have been getting consistent stalling of BT (updating........ for minutes, taking minutes even to exit).  Sometimes it worked OK, more often not so much.  Decided to switch back to 0.96 a few hours ago and since then BT is operating much better.  I think the problem might be related to a couple WiFi attached boxes that don't have the most solid connection.  BT 0.96 seems to handle it, 0.97 doesn't.  Has there been a change that might have caused this?

Also have noticed (as mentioned before) increasing CPU usage for BT.  Is this due to adding features or?  Any possibility of a BT Lite?  Don't need or want graphs, widgets or gadgets.  Just want to be able to control BOINC on a local network without a lot of resource usage.  Limiting history was suggested before, I keep 1 day history, lowering doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  Thanks!

fred

Quote from: Beyond on January 19, 2011, 05:10:50 PM
Switched to 0.97 when it came out and since then have been getting consistent stalling of BT (updating........ for minutes, taking minutes even to exit).  Sometimes it worked OK, more often not so much.  Decided to switch back to 0.96 a few hours ago and since then BT is operating much better.  I think the problem might be related to a couple WiFi attached boxes that don't have the most solid connection.  BT 0.96 seems to handle it, 0.97 doesn't.  Has there been a change that might have caused this?

Also have noticed (as mentioned before) increasing CPU usage for BT.  Is this due to adding features or?  Any possibility of a BT Lite?  Don't need or want graphs, widgets or gadgets.  Just want to be able to control BOINC on a local network without a lot of resource usage.  Limiting history was suggested before, I keep 1 day history, lowering doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  Thanks!

Strange, there are no changes from 96->97 that could relate to the slow updates. But the BOINC client is a low priority process, so when on of the computers is doing something the response time may go way down.
Al the extra things like graphic and gadgets do nothing when you don't use them.
In the BT setting set "Smart mode" and a "Maximum update time" of 120 (default 30).
Set no rules.
But a large amount of WU's may still cause some overhead, they must all be read. Especially when all computers have tasks close to completion.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 08:12:52 PM
Quote from: Beyond on January 19, 2011, 05:10:50 PM
Switched to 0.97 when it came out and since then have been getting consistent stalling of BT (updating........ for minutes, taking minutes even to exit).  Sometimes it worked OK, more often not so much.  Decided to switch back to 0.96 a few hours ago and since then BT is operating much better.  I think the problem might be related to a couple WiFi attached boxes that don't have the most solid connection.  BT 0.96 seems to handle it, 0.97 doesn't.  Has there been a change that might have caused this?
Strange, there are no changes from 96->97 that could relate to the slow updates. But the BOINC client is a low priority process, so when on of the computers is doing something the response time may go way down.
Al the extra things like graphic and gadgets do nothing when you don't use them.
In the BT setting set "Smart mode" and a "Maximum update time" of 120 (default 30).
Set no rules.
But a large amount of WU's may still cause some overhead, they must all be read. Especially when all computers have tasks close to completion.
Smart mode was on, changed max update time from 30 to 120, have no rules set.  Decided to change the 2 WiFi clients to longer range adapters and that seems to have helpped a lot.  V0.97 is running much better now (0.96 was starting to do the same as 0.97 but never as bad, probably just chance).  Seems when the connection to any client is even a little flaky, BT chokes.  Think that should be addressed.  With the 10 CPUs (40 cores) and 16 GPUs running there's an average of 5 WUs a minute completing, so there's always many close to completion.  That's probably quite a bit more than most BT users are seeing and I'm sure that's contributing to the problem.  Thanks very much for the help, Fred!

fred

Quote from: Beyond on January 19, 2011, 09:33:10 PM
Set no rules.
Smart mode was on, changed max update time from 30 to 120, have no rules set.  Decided to change the 2 WiFi clients to longer range adapters and that seems to have helpped a lot.  V0.97 is running much better now (0.96 was starting to do the same as 0.97 but never as bad, probably just chance).  Seems when the connection to any client is even a little flaky, BT chokes.  Think that should be addressed.  With the 10 CPUs (40 cores) and 16 GPUs running there's an average of 5 WUs a minute completing, so there's always many close to completion.  That's probably quite a bit more than most BT users are seeing and I'm sure that's contributing to the problem.  Thanks very much for the help, Fred!
[/quote]
I made a note to add an lean option in a version to come.
You probably already have a recent release version of BOINC The later version cause less history overhead.
And it's always the computer that is slow in responding that holds up the rest. Because every computer has to reply before the next command can be handled.
Normally at home I've a similar number of CPU's and GPU's running.
Of course closing BT to the taskbar gives the least overhead. Bringing it up with a hot-key is the best way.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 08:12:52 PM
Quote from: Beyond on January 19, 2011, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: fred on January 19, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
[...]
[...] Decided to change the 2 WiFi clients to longer range adapters and that seems to have helpped a lot.  V0.97 is running much better now (...).  Seems when the connection to any client is even a little flaky, BT chokes.  Think that should be addressed.  With the 10 CPUs (40 cores) and 16 GPUs running there's an average of 5 WUs a minute completing, so there's always many close to completion.  That's probably quite a bit more than most BT users are seeing and I'm sure that's contributing to the problem.
I made a note to add an lean option in a version to come.
[...]
And it's always the computer that is slow in responding that holds up the rest. Because every computer has to reply before the next command can be handled.
Could maybe the single hosts be communicated asynchronously? And at each screen refresh, use the most recent data at hand from each computer?
Peter

Pepo

From BT 0.96 thread:
Quote from: fred on January 17, 2011, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: John McLeod VII on January 17, 2011, 05:27:51 PM
New messages prompt won't go away.  If I visit the messages page, all of the messages should be marked as "not new".  BOINC Tasks keeps flipping to the foreground (yuck, please do NOT do this as it takes the keyboard away from whatever I am doing) - this may be related to the new messages problem.
I store the last received message time. When a message with a later time stamp appears the icon message should popup.
But sometimes the client keeps refreshing the received time.
But when does BT comes to the foreground.
Today I've switched to my (already logged-in, a few days ago, if it matters) account on the family computer. BT was already running since days. (The last time I've visited it was possibly two days ago. If it matters.) I've seen BOINC Manager's greeting about new Notices, a minute later the BT's one, about 3 new notices. Clicked, read, closed BT. But the balloon kept coming and coming, even if immediately clicked, again in 4 seconds. If not clicked, then it disappeared itself with some delay and immediately appeared again. After around 30 :o I've ceased to count it, a bit more later even to click on it. But it still popped up a handful more times. Then it somehow left closed  ::)

BOINC Manager displayed it just the one time.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on January 19, 2011, 10:01:18 PM
Today I've switched to my (already logged-in, a few days ago, if it matters) account on the family computer. BT was already running since days. (The last time I've visited it was possibly two days ago. If it matters.) I've seen BOINC Manager's greeting about new Notices, a minute later the BT's one, about 3 new notices. Clicked, read, closed BT. But the balloon kept coming and coming, even if immediately clicked, again in 4 seconds. If not clicked, then it disappeared itself with some delay and immediately appeared again. After around 30 :o I've ceased to count it, a bit more later even to click on it. But it still popped up a handful more times. Then it somehow left closed  ::)

BOINC Manager displayed it just the one time.
BT uses this time: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks\notices\localhost_time.
Only messages past this time should be counted.

But I've seen Windows loop the message for some reason, but normally only when the icon isn't shown. So hidden in Windows 7.

So testing is closing BT removing the key localhost_time and starting BT.