Task update problem

Started by kret, January 30, 2011, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kret

Hello,

First of all? Thank you for this awesome piece of software! Shown it to my team members and the were blown away ;)

But I've got a problem with Tasks pane. It updates every two seconds (to show tasks progress I guess). I'm not sure if it's because of this but I can't Suspend/Resume/Abort tasks because of that. I select a task and if I'm too slow the selection is cleared. If I manage to hit the button in those 2 seconds - nothing happens. Exception is the Abort button that displays confirmation box but when pressing Yes nothing happens. Have you came across something similar? How can I fix this?

I'm using stable BoincTasks 0.93 on Windows 7 x64 with Boinc 6.10.58

jjwhalen

Quote from: kret on January 30, 2011, 12:17:20 PM
I select a task and if I'm too slow the selection is cleared.

This is not normal behavior for BoincTasks, which mostly uses the standard Windows GUI functions and mouseology.  Once selected a row will tend to stay highlighted until you act on it again or select another, even after the task's Status changes.  Be sure you are using single click only to select the row.  If you doubleclick a task it will select then quickly deselect.  You might also check the doubleclick speed slider in your Control Panel>Mouse settings.  A maladjustment here might cause unintentional doubleclick, as could a mushy left button switch.

Regarding task list update (Refresh), it is adjustable.  Go to Extra>Boinc Tasks settings>View tab and look for the "Refresh rate" pulldown.  The Slow setting is double the interval of the default (Normal) setting, or ~6 seconds.  But I doubt this has anything to do with your problem.

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: kret on January 30, 2011, 12:17:20 PM
Hello,

First of all? Thank you for this awesome piece of software! Shown it to my team members and the were blown away ;)

But I've got a problem with Tasks pane. It updates every two seconds (to show tasks progress I guess). I'm not sure if it's because of this but I can't Suspend/Resume/Abort tasks because of that. I select a task and if I'm too slow the selection is cleared. If I manage to hit the button in those 2 seconds - nothing happens. Exception is the Abort button that displays confirmation box but when pressing Yes nothing happens. Have you came across something similar? How can I fix this?

I'm using stable BoincTasks 0.93 on Windows 7 x64 with Boinc 6.10.58
Strange, never heard about it. This only happens when you have an incorrect BOINC password, but that shouldn't be possible.
Is this the localhost????

Try the quite stable beta version 0.98, that way we have the same version running
Try selecting one line/WU and select suspend tasks (The blue || pause).
Check the message tab and see if BOINC reports anything back.
It should give something like:
81   SETI@home   30-01-2011 18:32   task 27jn10ab.9247.16993.14.10.48.vlar_0 suspended by user

And the refresh rate is indeed 2 seconds minimum, but dependent on the amount of work. More work slower updates.
But this has absolutely nothing to do with this problem.

kret

Quote from: jjwhalen on January 30, 2011, 07:43:18 PM
This is not normal behavior for BoincTasks, which mostly uses the standard Windows GUI functions and mouseology.  Once selected a row will tend to stay highlighted until you act on it again or select another, even after the task's Status changes.  Be sure you are using single click only to select the row.  If you doubleclick a task it will select then quickly deselect.  You might also check the doubleclick speed slider in your Control Panel>Mouse settings.  A maladjustment here might cause unintentional doubleclick, as could a mushy left button switch.

Regarding task list update (Refresh), it is adjustable.  Go to Extra>Boinc Tasks settings>View tab and look for the "Refresh rate" pulldown.  The Slow setting is double the interval of the default (Normal) setting, or ~6 seconds.  But I doubt this has anything to do with your problem.

Best wishes.
well in my pc the selection is cleared when tasks are being refreshed..well technically not cleared, because buttons seem to be active, but the blue line indicating selected line disappears :? I've also already tried changing the refresh time, still the same issue
Quote from: fred on January 31, 2011, 01:35:12 AM
Strange, never heard about it. This only happens when you have an incorrect BOINC password, but that shouldn't be possible.
Is this the localhost????

Try the quite stable beta version 0.98, that way we have the same version running
Try selecting one line/WU and select suspend tasks (The blue || pause).
Check the message tab and see if BOINC reports anything back.
It should give something like:
81   SETI@home   30-01-2011 18:32   task 27jn10ab.9247.16993.14.10.48.vlar_0 suspended by user

And the refresh rate is indeed 2 seconds minimum, but dependent on the amount of work. More work slower updates.
But this has absolutely nothing to do with this problem.

yes, pc is set to localhost and I'm already using 0.98..password must be ok, because it updates without problems and I can pause/resume projects without any problems, it just affects the tasks :/

as for the test of selecting one task and trying to pause it with blue ||..there is no entry in messages pane :?

I can record this if it will help

fred

Quote from: kret on January 31, 2011, 05:52:38 PM
I can record this if it will help
Strange.
1) What project are you running that causes these problems.
2) Do you have any columns disabled? And what columns. You could have disabled a needed column like the computer column.

What happens with the selection, it stays locked on a specific WU. So it matches the name, project and computer. If there is no such match the selection is removed.

kret

Quote from: fred on January 31, 2011, 11:56:03 PM
Strange.
2) Do you have any columns disabled? And what columns. You could have disabled a needed column like the computer column.

What happens with the selection, it stays locked on a specific WU. So it matches the name, project and computer. If there is no such match the selection is removed.
Ad 1) All projects
Ad 2) WOW :o :o :o you're absolutely right! I did disabled the computer column finding it irrelevant on Tasks pane since I run only one PC..when I re-enabled it problem with the selection is gone!!! thank you! that solves things :)

last thought..since disabling computer column makes this strange behavior it shouldn't be possible to do so (as a sort of requirement) or maybe you should write it somewhere 'visible', in the FAQ, help file etc?

fred

Quote from: kret on February 01, 2011, 11:19:43 PM
Quote from: fred on January 31, 2011, 11:56:03 PM
Strange.

Ad 1) All projects
Ad 2) WOW :o :o :o you're absolutely right! I did disabled the computer column finding it irrelevant on Tasks pane since I run only one PC..when I re-enabled it problem with the selection is gone!!! thank you! that solves things :)

last thought..since disabling computer column makes this strange behavior it shouldn't be possible to do so (as a sort of requirement) or maybe you should write it somewhere 'visible', in the FAQ, help file etc?
You should have gotten a warning popup that some thing don't work when you disable certain columns.
I put this on my to do list to fix this in one of the new versions.

A workaround is making the column width 0. This effectively hides the computer computer column.

kret

Quote from: fred on February 01, 2011, 11:50:01 PM
You should have gotten a warning popup that some thing don't work when you disable certain columns.
I put this on my to do list to fix this in one of the new versions.

A workaround is making the column width 0. This effectively hides the computer computer column.
of course you're right, there is a popup :) I've decided that the computer column is not that annoying and I will leave it be :)

thanks again for help!