Tie into Boincstats to get project ranking?

Started by Palamedes, April 17, 2011, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palamedes

So a feature I think would be good is to have a column in the projects area that shows your project ranking by account.  And then maybe show the number of over take days next to it.

These are things that boincstats can show you easily, I just don't know how easy it would be for you to get that information to display it.. (might not be possible at all..)

Good stuff man.. Thanks.

fred

Quote from: Palamedes on April 17, 2011, 07:43:44 PM
So a feature I think would be good is to have a column in the projects area that shows your project ranking by account.  And then maybe show the number of over take days next to it.

These are things that boincstats can show you easily, I just don't know how easy it would be for you to get that information to display it.. (might not be possible at all..)

Good stuff man.. Thanks.
Hmm, should be possible, but there are so many stat sites out there.
Anybody else who has an opinion about this.

ski1939

Quote from: fred on April 18, 2011, 07:43:06 PM

Good stuff man.. Thanks.

As you say there are so many stat sites already, I use BoincTasks to easily manage my projects and tasks on several remote computers, adding historical stats to the overhead of BoincTasks would be of little or no value to me.

Pepo

Quote from: ski1939 on April 21, 2011, 12:06:42 AM

As you say there are so many stat sites already, I use BoincTasks to easily manage my projects and tasks on several remote computers, adding historical stats to the overhead of BoincTasks would be of little or no value to me.
I'd also say, let's concentrate on data, delivered by the connected clients...
Peter

Beyond

Hmm, should be possible, but there are so many stat sites out there.  Anybody else who has an opinion about this.
I'd also say, let's concentrate on data, delivered by the connected clients...
I'd also vote to concentrate on the core features and to keep BT as resource light as possible.

Palamedes

See that right there?

That was me getting spanked down!   ;D

Fair enough.. I suppose its pointless overhead.. Just one of those "wouldnt' it be cool" things.. but I can see how it would potentially cause issues.

hucker

Well I want the stats.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult or produce much overhead.

Presumably the stats can be gotten from all sorts of sources, you could use the projects themselves (as bam do), or bam (do I have to have a bam account for them to keep stats?), or don't boinc have stats themselves?

fred

Quote from: hucker on November 14, 2011, 12:02:48 AM
Well I want the stats.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult or produce much overhead.

Presumably the stats can be gotten from all sorts of sources, you could use the projects themselves (as bam do), or bam (do I have to have a bam account for them to keep stats?), or don't boinc have stats themselves?
BoincTasks has every thing except the project ranking.

hucker

I know.  So you can put all your resources into the ranking then :-)

ski1939

What do you mean by project ranking? I am still opposed to this suggestion unless it would be a option that you have to opt into (not opt out of) because of the additional overhead and especially if BT has to connect to some BOINC stats site. 

hucker

I mean the position you are in for each project.   There's an example of a monitor at the top of my websites, for example I am in position 597 in Moo.

I can't see it as much overhead, and opting in would be fine.  Just a column you could add which would invoke the lookup.

ski1939

Quote from: hucker on November 14, 2011, 04:27:45 PM
I mean the position you are in for each project.   There's an example of a monitor at the top of my websites, for example I am in position 597 in Moo.

I can't see it as much overhead, and opting in would be fine.  Just a column you could add which would invoke the lookup.

Thanks for your explanation, I now understand what project rank is, however it is of no value to me in using BT to manage the several remote computers I have running BONIC.

Note to Fred - if you implement this suggestion, please require an opt in for it, so those of us who don't want it can avoid the added overhead in internet connections and the additional code (this may required the opt in be done at the time BT is being installed). thanks ski1939

hucker

Not sure why you think there would be "added overhead".  It's just a check for a number.  It's not downloading much data.  Compared to the projects downloading and uploading tasks, it would be nothing.

Pepo

Quote from: hucker on November 14, 2011, 05:44:06 PM
Not sure why you think there would be "added overhead".  It's just a check for a number.  It's not downloading much data.  Compared to the projects downloading and uploading tasks, it would be nothing.
I'm not aware of which project (or stat site - maybe there is one) you could ask for "please give me the user 2612345's rank number".

Imagine you have 50 projects attached to your clients. It would involve N x daily (with N being some preference) contact to these 50 projects and download and parse (sometimes pretty large) stats files from them.
Peter

hucker

Surely the question could be asked of the project server at the same time as the project is updating.  It already receives the number of points you have, all it needs is one more number.