Tie into Boincstats to get project ranking?

Started by Palamedes, April 17, 2011, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ski1939

Quote from: hucker on November 14, 2011, 06:08:41 PM
Surely the question could be asked of the project server at the same time as the project is updating.  It already receives the number of points you have, all it needs is one more number.

I'm not aware of BT connecting with the BOINC project servers, only with the local and remote host's BOINC agents and TThrottle.

hucker

Oops, yes I forgot BT is seperated from BOINC somewhat.  So there would have to be a separate contact made with the project server.  But nevertheless, it's just a "what position is Peter in", "324".  Not really an overhead.

Pepo

Such contact would be simple, yes, but I remind you again: the server software does not know such query, the only stats export are the (moderate to huge) stats files.
Peter

hucker

So is the only option a stats file from every project or a stats file from a project manager?  If a project manager could be contacted that would be good, as presumably the stats for all your projects could be grabbed in one file, say once a day or less.  Or even the project manager might give just the rankings list?

Pepo

Quote from: hucker on November 15, 2011, 09:36:32 AM
...a stats file from a project manager?  If a project manager could be contacted ...
You may call me ignorant, or I've just missed it, but... what is a "project manager"?
If you mean "Account Manager", then I've no idea, whether it has any project rank information. I've not used it yet.
Peter

hucker

fred

Quote from: Pepo on November 15, 2011, 10:26:43 AM
If you mean "Account Manager", then I've no idea, whether it has any project rank information. I've not used it yet.
As far as I know, the account manager only adds or removes projects.

The BOINC client communicates with the projects, but only retrieves statistics, as shown in the credit graph.
You can try a feature request: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/

Most ? projects have a http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/top_users.php ranking list.

hucker

fred

hucker

Yes, brilliant.  So can you get that on anyone or does the user have to have an account with whoever that is?

Can that be integrated into the Boinc Tasks code?

fred

Quote from: hucker on November 15, 2011, 11:29:20 AM
Can that be integrated into the Boinc Tasks code?
It can, but it may take some time.
I will add it in so that it will NOT cause any overhead for those who don't use it.
Shouldn't be too complicated.

ski1939

@ hucker

You obviously have some value for this information.

I fail to find any use for it to manage BOINC hosts and would ask what value it has for you - how would you use it?

hucker

Don't you find it nice to know how well you are doing compared to others?

hucker

Quote from: fred on November 15, 2011, 11:34:54 AM
It can, but it may take some time.
I will add it in so that it will NOT cause any overhead for those who don't use it.
Shouldn't be too complicated.

Thanks!!

Pepo

Quote from: hucker on November 15, 2011, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: ski1939 on November 15, 2011, 11:37:31 AM
@ hucker
You obviously have some value for this information.
I fail to find any use for it to manage BOINC hosts and would ask what value it has for you - how would you use it?
Don't you find it nice to know how well you are doing compared to others?
Indeed. There are a lot of BOINC users, who (simplified said) do it just for the competition. Having e.g. a "Rank" + "RAC Rank" columns in the Projects tab, in addition to "Credits" + "RAC" columns, might simplify them some lookups elsewhere and bring more fuel into the competition - I understand this all. (And this can turn to be one more + for using BoincTasks.)

Just without having such nice XML file from BOINC Combined Statistics (according to their forum announcement the data are absolutely free to use) or convincing BOINC devs to deliver these two additional values en route Project -> Client -> Managers (which would be the cleanest solution), things would be much more complicated.

Quote from: hucker on November 15, 2011, 11:29:20 AM
So can you get that on anyone or does the user have to have an account with whoever that is?
I think BT should display ranking data just for the users and projects it is able to see managed clients. But that's fred's decision :D
Let's see in which form it will be presented 8)
Peter