Help understanding cpu %

Started by alha, June 21, 2012, 12:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alha

Hi, I just downloaded this and installed it on my current best rig, that I use for crunching SETI workunits. I noticed that there is a column for CPU%, and on my CPU's, it shows currently between 61 and 95%, with most in the lower to upper 80's. My GPU's on the other hand are running 2.5-3%. I know it's labeled CPU percent, but is there any indication in the program how efficiently the GPU's are running?

fred

Quote from: alha on June 21, 2012, 12:43:35 AM
Hi, I just downloaded this and installed it on my current best rig, that I use for crunching SETI workunits. I noticed that there is a column for CPU%, and on my CPU's, it shows currently between 61 and 95%, with most in the lower to upper 80's. My GPU's on the other hand are running 2.5-3%. I know it's labeled CPU percent, but is there any indication in the program how efficiently the GPU's are running?
The CPU % is the actual wall clock time an application ran and the CPU time spend  on it.
The lower the number the less time the CPU was working.
For a CPU Tasks you want a high number as for a GPU Tasks you like a low number.
The GPU Task needs the CPU to provide data and program, so this is overhead on the CPU side. The use column should provide an indication of CPU % like 0.04C indication an expected CPU % of 4%.
It has nothing to do with GPU internal efficiency.