Something for the Future..........

Started by Corsair, October 05, 2009, 01:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corsair

Hi Fred,

I think you know that I'm Mariner, so long time away from home (not now that I'm enjoying a leap year).

could be possible in the future to run from e.g. laptop away home and accessing to home computers with BT??

as I told you is an idea.

Carmelo.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on October 05, 2009, 01:31:30 PM
Hi Fred,

I think you know that I'm Mariner, so long time away from home (not now that I'm enjoying a leap year).

could be possible in the future to run from e.g. laptop away home and accessing to home computers with BT??

as I told you is an idea.

Carmelo.
I like to make things but there is an excellent program that allows you to access your computer remotely.
logmein and it's free, but there are others as well.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 05, 2009, 04:06:39 PM
I like to make things but there is an excellent program that allows you to access your computer remotely.
I believe Fred means a VPN application, previously developed under name hamachi. You can create a "virtual LAN" if you start this program on a couple of computers (e.g. those running your BOINC clients and your B.T. laptop on a ship) and these LAN nodes will be accessible under a new IP segment like e.g. 5.43.137.** (BTW, very convenient to play LAN games with non-local mates)

Another possibility is to create separate SSH tunnels from your B.T. laptop to BOINC clients and access the clients over these tunnels. The following B.T. version is promised to support this.
Peter

Corsair

Quote from: Pepo on October 06, 2009, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: fred on October 05, 2009, 04:06:39 PM
I believe Fred means a VPN application, previously developed under name hamachi. You can create a "virtual LAN" if you start this program on a couple of computers (e.g. those running your BOINC clients and your B.T. laptop on a ship) and these LAN nodes will be accessible under a new IP segment like e.g. 5.43.137.** (BTW, very convenient to play LAN games with non-local mates)

Another possibility is to create separate SSH tunnels from your B.T. laptop to BOINC clients and access the clients over these tunnels. The following B.T. version is promised to support this.

Hi Pepo,

I think I'll need some more information about you're saying, I like it.

long time I haven't see you when you post in BoincView forum.  ;)

Corsair.

Pepo

Quote from: Corsair on October 06, 2009, 12:05:16 PM
Hi Pepo,

I think I'll need some more information about you're saying, I like it.

long time I haven't see you when you post in BoincView forum.  ;)
I'm still missing BoincView and its forums. I hope Fred will be able to match it with good own products  ;D

Well, then we can cook some how-to for the remote client access.
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on October 06, 2009, 11:48:12 AM
[...]
I can now at least confirm that I could successfully connect BT 0.23 over a SSH tunnel (using a PuTTY terminal) from localhost's port 31417 to a client hanging on a remote machine on port 31416  ;D
Peter

Corsair

That's quite good,

but you could understand that what I'm asking is a very strange thing, on the way that from one computer
outside the router, firewall, etc, you want to control all the computer behind the router, etc.

if one remote desktop connection is done, the CUDA applications of accessed computers will fail to work.

but I think that if you know your public IP of the router and forwarding every 31416 port to every
computer that you have in your network, could be easy to do it, I'll try and I let you know.

Corsair.

Corsair

but the problem is the name (or IP) of the controlling computer, that must be in the "remote_hosts.cfg"
of the controlled computers.

so, could it be names without IP numbers is the "remote_hosts.cfg"??, as the controller computer use to
have a dynamic IP and unknown.

Corsair.

Christoph

Well, I don't have realy experience with remote controls/access of computers. But I have a project running, where I want to give some people access to one computer under my 'administration'. So, the program TeamViewer is working good, is free for private use, and have their own dynDNS service so to say. I didn't make accessive testing up to now, but it looks promissing. If connected, you can call up many details of the remote PC, propably including the IP adress. And it is working through a router, that I did test already. http://www.teamviewer.com/de/index.aspx?split=A It also gives you the possibility of a VPN. That would maybe be low bandwidth compatible in case Corsair like to check over an INMARSAT connection without paying for the high speed modus of B or F, whatever it would be. Yes, I am a mariner too. Or will be again when I get my helth certificate again.

Corsair

Quote from: Christoph on October 20, 2009, 08:34:19 PM
Yes, I am a mariner too. Or will be again when I get my helth certificate again.

Hi Christoph,

you the health certificate, I've got it, but not the job by the moment (all British contracts, we were sack
in last July  >:(, I had this contract as I joined trough the old UK office and member of a UK Union too :)),
so I've taken as a leap year  ;D, and looking for job by now.

anyway, do you know a good professional software for comparing and adjusting the compass??, I've seen
C-Swing, that is good for doing the deviation curve but not takes the initial setup of magnets and a help
of how they have to be for the final. I'm going to do the course of "Official compass adjuster" on the 10th
November, another youth sin, when this certificate was established in Spain all person with 5th Of University
(Nautical) and Captain ticket, you were able to got it, the time passed, and now only with the official course
and University Master and/or Master Mariner tickets, no problem I've all then except the fuc....ing course,
but I swear I'll do it on this November.

and what you say the prices of Fleet (64 Kbaud) and Fleet broadband (128 Kbaud) are still very expensive,
compared with Mini-M (2400 baud) at least this last is cheap, but for a normal connection to check mail
2 hours desperation.

Corsair.

Pepo

Quote from: Corsair on October 20, 2009, 05:58:37 PM
[...]you could understand that what I'm asking is a very strange thing, on the way that from one computer
outside the router, firewall, etc, you want to control all the computer behind the router, etc.
Not strange at all, but very common task.
Quoteif one remote desktop connection is done, the CUDA applications of accessed computers will fail to work.
I've read about this problem on the mailing lists. Yes, remote desktop is out, and it is also too bandwidth-hungry for your needs.
Quotebut I think that if you know your public IP of the router...
Sure, DynDNS and the like services.
Quote...and forwarding every 31416 port to every computer that you have in your network, could be easy to do it, I'll try and I let you know.
Exactly! You will forward your router's incoming ports e.g. CorsairNet.DynDNS.org:2010 ... CorsairNet.DynDNS.org:2035 to your local network's clients 192.168.4.10:31416 ... 192.168.4.35:31416 and will see all 26 BOINC clients at a glance ;)

Quotebut the problem is the name (or IP) of the controlling computer, that must be in the "remote_hosts.cfg"
of the controlled computers.

so, could it be names without IP numbers is the "remote_hosts.cfg"??, as the controller computer use to
have a dynamic IP and unknown.
Right. The remote_ hosts.cfg can also contain domain names, not just IPs, like CorsairCruiser.DynDNS.org  8)
Peter

Corsair

everything that we're saying is correct, but not so correct, because the computer (Laptop) I connect
has no dns known available that the fixed computers at home should know in the remote_host.cfg,
so, is it anyway of giving a fix name to the laptop and this intro in the remote_host.cfg of the fixed ones??

I've done more or less what you say forwarding ports, etc. in the router, connecting BT with a connection
outside router, but there is the problem that not know IP, domain,  etc. is know by the clients at home and
for that reason is not accepted the connection.

Corsair.

Pepo

Quote from: Corsair on October 21, 2009, 06:44:41 PM
everything that we're saying is correct, but not so correct, because the computer (Laptop) I connect
has no dns known available that the fixed computers at home should know in the remote_host.cfg,
so, is it anyway of giving a fix name to the laptop and this intro in the remote_host.cfg of the fixed ones??
And what about giving also the laptop a DynDNS name? The same way as the router at home?
Peter

Corsair

Quote from: Pepo on October 22, 2009, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Corsair on October 21, 2009, 06:44:41 PM
And what about giving also the laptop a DynDNS name? The same way as the router at home?

How could be this??, every time I'll my laptop connect to the web (mobile, Fleet connection (satellite internet on board vessels)) my dynamic IP will be converted to a dynamic address (static name)??, I really don't need a dynamic domain for home, as I have a software that sends my an email every time mi public IP at home exchanges, so there is no so much problems to configure the "controlling" computer with such IP, of course it would be easier to do it with a dyndns and giving a name and not exchange in case the IP.

Corsair.

fred

Can someone make a step for step manual how to set up a remote connection using a dynamic ip address.