64 bit version

Started by fred, May 04, 2010, 06:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Has anyone got BT working on a 64 bit machine with a remote computer connection?

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on May 04, 2010, 06:20:03 PM
Has anyone got BT working on a 64 bit machine with a remote computer connection?
Yes 8)

glennaxl

Yes...BT is running on win7 x64 with remote host: xp 32, vista 32, win7 x64

JStateson

If you are referring to boinc stats displaying the temps, the yes, I have 2 remote win boxes and (almost) one linux* box reporting temps back to boincstasks.

However, the temps reported are identical for each of the 4 cpu's but the gpu's are correct.

I am getting back individual correct reading for each cpu temp, but the last temp is the only one that is being displayed (for all tasks).  I used microsoft net monitor to see what was happening.

The last packet of data shows 49.7 50.1  49.8 and 48.9 but only the last temp is used for the boinctasks temperature display for all 4 cpu's  (The packet does not match the image since they were taken at different times).  The gpu temperatures all are displayed correctly.

BTW I am attempting to modify the ubuntu linux sensors-applet that uses lm-sensors to send temperature measurements to your program for the cpu's and the gpu's on my linux systems.  *So far, all I have is a ubuntu server that routes some random temps back to boinctasks but I had the idea of putting it into the sensors-applet.  These are all 64 bit systems, vista, windows 7 and ubuntu

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on May 05, 2010, 04:23:16 AM
If you are referring to boinc stats displaying the temps, the yes, I have 2 remote win boxes and (almost) one linux* box reporting temps back to boincstasks.

However, the temps reported are identical for each of the 4 cpu's but the gpu's are correct.

I am getting back individual correct reading for each cpu temp, but the last temp is the only one that is being displayed (for all tasks).  I used microsoft net monitor to see what was happening.

The last packet of data shows 49.7 50.1  49.8 and 48.9 but only the last temp is used for the boinctasks temperature display for all 4 cpu's  (The packet does not match the image since they were taken at different times).  The gpu temperatures all are displayed correctly.

BTW I am attempting to modify the ubuntu linux sensors-applet that uses lm-sensors to send temperature measurements to your program for the cpu's and the gpu's on my linux systems.  *So far, all I have is a ubuntu server that routes some random temps back to boinctasks but I had the idea of putting it into the sensors-applet.  These are all 64 bit systems, vista, windows 7 and ubuntu
So far I haven't come up with a way to match a project with a cpu. So the highest value is shown.
If you have a sensor reading app for your linux systems I'm glad to include it in the installer.

fred

A good test case, I found some wrong status messages in BoincTasks, so that's nice.

On one computer I mistyped the IP as 191, instead of 192. The monitor is a bit small. ;D

The second computer really puzzles me. It works but I don't know why, this is embarrassing. Maybe it's the jet-lag.
I put in the password that BoincTasks reports on the remote host.
But that's not the password in the file! ???

The file is in C:\ProgramData\BOINC\gui_rpc_auth.cfg
I deleted the file and rebooted the system. And as far as I know BOINC should make a new file, but it doesn't.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on May 05, 2010, 02:05:42 PM
A good test case, I found some wrong status messages in BoincTasks, so that's nice.

On one computer I mistyped the IP as 191, instead of 192. The monitor is a bit small. ;D

The second computer really puzzles me. It works but I don't know why, this is embarrassing. Maybe it's the jet-lag.

I deleted the file and rebooted the system. And as far as I know BOINC should make a new file, but it doesn't.

Fred,

gui_rpc_auth.cfg is generated with the random password the first time BOINC is run from a clean install, after which you can put in your own p/w.  (BOINC User Manual)

At least on my (Vista x64) system, if gui_rpc_auth.cfg is removed (renamed) and the client is restarted, a new gui_rpc_auth.cfg is definitely generated with a new random password.  I've no idea why your system didn't/wouldn't do this.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on May 05, 2010, 10:20:53 PM
Quote from: fred on May 05, 2010, 02:05:42 PM

Fred,

gui_rpc_auth.cfg is generated with the random password the first time BOINC is run from a clean install, after which you can put in your own p/w.  (BOINC User Manual)

At least on my (Vista x64) system, if gui_rpc_auth.cfg is removed (renamed) and the client is restarted, a new gui_rpc_auth.cfg is definitely generated with a new random password.  I've no idea why your system didn't/wouldn't do this.
I will add an additional logging what file BT is using to get the password.