News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

timer resolution

Started by c Rex, October 07, 2010, 09:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c Rex

I use TThrottle to keep my laptop from shutting off when I'm gaming.  What I notice is that I get a burst of animation over about 3/4 of a second, and then a pause.  This happens about once a second.

What I would like is an adjustable timer resolution which goes from, say once every 2 seconds to 1/500 of a second

fred

Quote from: c Rex on October 07, 2010, 09:30:43 AM
I use TThrottle to keep my laptop from shutting off when I'm gaming.  What I notice is that I get a burst of animation over about 3/4 of a second, and then a pause.  This happens about once a second.

What I would like is an adjustable timer resolution which goes from, say once every 2 seconds to 1/500 of a second
The timing depends on the number of processes to be throttled.
When you switch at a higher frequency the overhead will be considerable.
On a labtop it may even cause the processor to heat up, because of the load TThrottle generates.

But what animation? You could exclude that program from throttling.

c Rex

by animation I mean the frames per second.  I'll give you an idea of what it's like.

It's a kind of elongated strobe effect.  Where a traditional party strobe gives the illusion of still frames, playing a game under TThrottle is a sequence of [movement][---][movement][---][movement][---]

I do want to throttle the game because the GPU generates the heat.

Pepo

Quote from: c Rex on October 08, 2010, 01:13:00 AM
[...] playing a game under TThrottle is a sequence of [movement][---][movement][---][movement][---]

I do want to throttle the game because the GPU generates the heat.
You should rather lower the game's graphical output settings (quality, fps, etc.) to lower its CPU/GPU/heat requirements. Pushing the game to limits and simultaneously squeezing its throat in pulses can produce nothing but your stroboscopic animations ::) Regardless of how fine the timer resolution would be, you are just unexpectedly hindering the game from outputting a continuous/uninterrupted sequence of image frames.
Peter

c Rex

I'm looking to achieve what looks like a lowered frames per second, rather than a low frequency stroboscopic effect.

As far as gpu settings go, I'm also looking into that.  Game has basically 1:  "Let's rock this!"

Pepo

If you REALLY want to try the throttling, you can check also ThreadMaster, however I do not know, what is its throttling frequency and how good it copes weth recent OSes (I just know it should have worked fine on WinXP and WinServer2003).
Peter

c Rex

hello again. 

ThreadMaster seems to have a resolution of 2x / second.  Thanks Pepo