BT 1.01

Started by Pepo, April 04, 2011, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beyond

Quote from: Pepo on April 06, 2011, 03:14:39 PM
Quote from: Beyond on April 06, 2011, 12:58:42 PM
Quote from: Pepo on April 06, 2011, 12:19:42 PM
[...] what could be causing, that YOU do not get the right-click context menu on available transfers...
[...]  All other right click menus work fine so I assume something changed when the new menu choices were added.  I tried 1.01 on one of the cruncher only machines and the right click context menu did work but ONLY if I clicked on one of the items and THEN right clicked.  On all earlier versions an item did NOT have to be highlighted before the right context menu worked and for some reason ONLY that menu does not work at all on my main machine.
I believe this will be the culprit. During the whole BT's history I've not been able to understand, why

• sometimes the context menu can be immediately "applied" to any (not selected) line (which then immediately gets selected),
  • sometimes the context menu belonged to some other (already selected) line, not the particular (not selected) line I've just right- clicked at,
  • sometimes no context menu opens at all, possibly just because no line is selected.

I'd not necessarily call this behavior "a pain", because I know it works if I do not forget to left-click-select my desired line in advance (if I do), but surely at least a "would-be-nice-to-repair" or "would-be-nice-to-let-it-behave-consistently" category.
It is if the right click menu doesn't work at all under any circumstance and there's no other way to get the files uploaded except to load BoincView and do it there.  I bet Fred would have a quick solution but he's most likely hiking up a mountain trail.  I understand, the rivers have opened up here and it's paddling season again  :)

fred

I'll do some testing on the retry all.
But do you know you can retry by double clicking on a line.
This will normally clear the project delay as well.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on April 06, 2011, 06:06:58 PM
Yes but I have 11 machines and lots of projects.  My index finger gets tired ;D
How about adding "Retry all transfers" just above Projects / Report all completed tasks?
I'd been thinking about requesting that for a while now anyway.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 06, 2011, 07:01:38 PM
Yes but I have 11 machines and lots of projects.  My index finger gets tired ;D
How about adding "Retry all transfers" just above Projects / Report all completed tasks?
I'd been thinking about requesting that for a while now anyway.
I think this is better: I made this as an experiment for private use. ;D

Add to the config.xml file

<private>
<refresh> 3600 </refresh>
</private>

Restart BT, you should see the text: download refresh: xx Seconds in the logging.

This way the downloads are auto refreshed every hour. The refresh only happens when there are > 0 downloads.

I could add it the the context menu, but than you get no feedback.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on April 06, 2011, 07:16:42 PM
This way the downloads are auto refreshed every hour.
Veeery gooood!

If it would be that simple to let the BOINC client postpone finished tasks' report by at least 2-3 minutes...
Peter

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 06, 2011, 04:09:52 PM
I'd not necessarily call this behavior "a pain", because I know it works if I do not forget to left-click-select my desired line in advance (if I do), but surely at least a "would-be-nice-to-repair" or "would-be-nice-to-let-it-behave-consistently" category.
It is if the right click menu doesn't work at all under any circumstance and there's no other way to get the files uploaded except to load BoincView and do it there.  I bet Fred would have a quick solution but he's most likely hiking up a mountain trail.
[/quote]
Hmm, I tested it and when no lines are selected, the line at the current cursor position is selected.
But the cursor has to be above a valid line.

On my computer the line is automatically selected.
And Retry all seems to work... I didn't change a thing...

There may be a slight delay because of the added WWW lines, because BT has to wait for the WWW data.

Beyond

Quote from: fred on April 06, 2011, 07:42:23 PM
Quote from: Beyond on April 06, 2011, 04:09:52 PM
It is if the right click menu doesn't work at all under any circumstance and there's no other way to get the files uploaded except to load BoincView and do it there.  I bet Fred would have a quick solution but he's most likely hiking up a mountain trail.
Hmm, I tested it and when no lines are selected, the line at the current cursor position is selected.
But the cursor has to be above a valid line.

On my computer the line is automatically selected.
And Retry all seems to work... I didn't change a thing...

There may be a slight delay because of the added WWW lines, because BT has to wait for the WWW data.
Does WWW update have to be activated to get the right click to work?

Also do these lines have to be in any particular place in the config.xml:

<private>
</private>

I'm not seeing "download refresh: xx Seconds in the logging" in the log file.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 06, 2011, 08:04:50 PM
Does WWW update have to be activated to get the right click to work?

Also do these lines have to be in any particular place in the config.xml:

<private>
</private>
For the context menu to show the WWW link request must be completed.
You can try a transfer from the localhost, that should be quick.

I'm not seeing "download refresh: xx Seconds in the logging" in the log file.

I put it at the end.
But I checked and it's slightly different :-[, sorry about that.

<private>
   <refresh>
      <downloads>   3600   </downloads>
   </refresh>
</private>

Beyond

That works but is there a similar config setting for uploads?  I tried (guessed):

<private>
      <refresh>
         <uploads>   3600   </uploads>
         <downloads>   3600   </downloads>
      </refresh>
   </private>

The download part works but not the uploads.

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 06, 2011, 08:57:07 PM
That works but is there a similar config setting for uploads?  I tried (guessed):
Not yet, I never had a need, most of the time downloads are the main problem. As downloads are normally larger files.
But I add it to the list.

Pepo

I've notice something what forced me thinking of... BT on machine A sees tasks ready to report on machines A and B. They appear in both History and tray icon's context menu. Some time later B goes offline (I mean, invisible to BT on A), but the entries in both History and tray icon's context menu stay. Now even if all A's tasks are reported, the tray icon's context menu will show e.g. "Report all finished tasks 37" ad infinitum (more exactly, until BT will be restarted?).

I believe that if a remote client goes offline, the number of its finished tasks should not count against the mentioned number until the machine goes again online.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on April 06, 2011, 09:51:44 PM
I believe that if a remote client goes offline, the number of its finished tasks should not count against the mentioned number until the machine goes again online.
On the bug list.

Beyond

Mystery of the "right click, no menu" behavior in "Transfers" tab partially solved.  For some reason starting with v1.01 if the "Computer" field in "Transfers" is moved to anywhere other than the end position then the menu will not pop up when right clicked.  Have confirmed this behavior on 2 machines.  Now the rest of the mystery is: what changed?

fred

Quote from: Pepo on April 06, 2011, 03:14:39 PM
On the History tab, no context menu appeared, I had to select some line first in order to let it appear.
The history is fixed in V 1.02.

idahofisherman

Multiple  BT icons in windows status line.  When I click on one they all disappear except the one I clicked on.  Not a major problem just strange and confusing as to which one is the real one.  This usually happens when the computer has been unattended for several hours.

I am running on XP3.

This happened under 0.73 along time ago and has not appeared on any later versions that I know of.