BT 1.01

Started by Pepo, April 04, 2011, 08:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahofisherman

The status line shows that BoincTasks is "Closing x"  Where x is a number that increases by 1.  When  it gets done closing ithe display is reset and only  the local hosts tasks are displayed. eventually the rest of the computers monitored are added to the display and then it starts all over again.

I am unable to display the dump files  on my machine.

Pepo

Quote from: idahofisherman on April 11, 2011, 02:29:56 AM
Multiple  BT icons in windows status line.  When I click on one they all disappear except the one I clicked on.  Not a major problem just strange and confusing as to which one is the real one.  This usually happens when the computer has been unattended for several hours.
My bet is these are remnants of crashed BTs. (Maybe you could check around, whether BT really crashed several times during the unattended period?) If you hover mouse cursor over any of them, it should simply disappear. This happens very often (or always?) with crashed apps, which display a tray icon.
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on April 08, 2011, 05:07:22 PM
Mystery of the "right click, no menu" behavior in "Transfers" tab partially solved.  For some reason starting with v1.01 if the "Computer" field in "Transfers" is moved to anywhere other than the end position then the menu will not pop up when right clicked.  Have confirmed this behavior on 2 machines.
I've checked your idea on my computer. I'm trying to move the Computer column around the whole History (initially it was placed as the rightmost (==last?) column), but neither a selected task line nor its context menu do appear.

Quote from: fred on April 08, 2011, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: Pepo on April 06, 2011, 03:14:39 PM
On the History tab, no context menu appeared, I had to select some line first in order to let it appear.
The history is fixed in V 1.02.
Let's indeed wait on BT 1.02.
Peter

Beyond

Quote from: Pepo on April 11, 2011, 10:34:09 AM
Mystery of the "right click, no menu" behavior in "Transfers" tab partially solved.  For some reason starting with v1.01 if the "Computer" field in "Transfers" is moved to anywhere other than the end position then the menu will not pop up when right clicked.  Have confirmed this behavior on 2 machines.
I've checked your idea on my computer. I'm trying to move the Computer column around the whole History (initially it was placed as the rightmost (==last?) column), but neither a selected task line nor its context menu do appear.
You're confirming the above behavior?  To restate: here on both machines with v1.01 if the Computer column is moved to anywhere but the last position in Transfers, then the right click context menu does not work.

Pepo

Quote from: Pepo on April 11, 2011, 10:29:55 AM
Multiple  BT icons in windows status line.  When I click on one they all disappear except the one I clicked on.  Not a major problem just strange and confusing as to which one is the real one.  This usually happens when the computer has been unattended for several hours.
My bet is these are remnants of crashed BTs. (Maybe you could check around, whether BT really crashed several times during the unattended period?) If you hover mouse cursor over any of them, it should simply disappear. This happens very often (or always?) with crashed apps, which display a tray icon.
For the check - you can surely find out, whether your currently running BT's process was started BEFORE  the unattended period (i.e. by you), or DURING it (i.e. automatically restarted after some crash).
Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on April 11, 2011, 02:40:12 PM
You're confirming the above behavior?  To restate: here on both machines with v1.01 if the Computer column is moved to anywhere but the last position in Transfers, then the right click context menu does not work.
Not really, my observations are now slightly different (even different to my observations a few days ago) (but the reason (some particular code's behavior) might be the same):

On Computers tab, right-clicking any line selects it (and opens its context menu).
In Projects tab, right-clicking any line does not move selection away from climateprediction.net and each time opens its context menu.
In both Tasks and History tabs, no line is selected and right-clicking any line does not select any line (and thus does not open any context menu). Independently on the Computers column position. After explicitly left-clicking any task, it stays selected after right-clicking any other line. And History is occasionally jumping down upon any clicking.
Peter

Beyond

Quote from: Pepo on April 11, 2011, 05:37:50 PM
Quote from: Beyond on April 11, 2011, 02:40:12 PM
Not really, my observations are now slightly different (even different to my observations a few days ago) (but the reason (some particular code's behavior) might be the same):

On Computers tab, right-clicking any line selects it (and opens its context menu).
In Projects tab, right-clicking any line does not move selection away from climateprediction.net and each time opens its context menu.
In both Tasks and History tabs, no line is selected and right-clicking any line does not select any line (and thus does not open any context menu). Independently on the Computers column position. After explicitly left-clicking any task, it stays selected after right-clicking any other line. And History is occasionally jumping down upon any clicking.
Hi Peter, you're answering about all tabs except the one I'm referring to.  I'm asking about the Transfers tab and it's right click behavior when the Computer column is NOT in the last position.  Wondering if the behavior is the same as on both my BT machines?

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on April 11, 2011, 06:06:43 PM
Hi Peter, you're answering about all tabs except the one I'm referring to.  I'm asking about the Transfers tab and it's right click behavior when the Computer column is NOT in the last position.  Wondering if the behavior is the same as on both my BT machines?
Sorry :-[ I was too fixed on History. Confirming:

In Transfers tab, I've currently one file. even if the line is not selected, right-clicking it does select it. But if the Computer column is not the right-most, the context menu does not open.
Peter

fred

Quote from: idahofisherman on April 11, 2011, 02:55:50 AM
The status line shows that BoincTasks is "Closing x"  Where x is a number that increases by 1.  When  it gets done closing ithe display is reset and only  the local hosts tasks are displayed. eventually the rest of the computers monitored are added to the display and then it starts all over again.

I am unable to display the dump files  on my machine.
Closing X isn't necessarily a crash.
It indicates a connection thread that's no longer responding.
What happens, BT closes all connections and tries to connect again.

BT 1.02 has a user definable timeout. So for slow connections you may increase the timeout time.

fred

I am running on XP3.

This happened under 0.73 along time ago and has not appeared on any later versions that I know of.
This is caused by a crash, that leave one icon behind.
There should be a crash report somewhere.
You can also remove the check at "Silently restart on a crash". Maybe this will give some more info, why there is a crash.

Beyond

Quote from: Pepo on April 11, 2011, 06:48:30 PM
Quote from: Beyond on April 11, 2011, 06:06:43 PM
Sorry :-[ I was too fixed on History. Confirming:

In Transfers tab, I've currently one file. even if the line is not selected, right-clicking it does select it. But if the Computer column is not the right-most, the context menu does not open.
Thanks Peter, wanted to make sure it was acting the same on machines other than mine.  Guess it's a confirmed bug.  Now where's that bug swatter...

fred

Quote from: Beyond on April 11, 2011, 11:07:52 PM
Thanks Peter, wanted to make sure it was acting the same on machines other than mine.  Guess it's a confirmed bug.  Now where's that bug swatter...
On the fixed list for 1.02. ;D

Beyond

Quote from: fred on April 12, 2011, 12:29:25 AM
On the fixed list for 1.02. ;D
I knew there was a bug swatter around here somewhere :D

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on April 12, 2011, 02:44:25 PM
Guess it's a confirmed bug.  Now where's that bug swatter...
I knew there was a bug swatter around here somewhere :D
Thanks for the linguistic hint! Finally I know what to effectively hunt the (SW) bugs (and flies) with ;D
Peter